6.5 CM vs 7MM-08 head to head ...

You should have posted your popcorn eater!

Steve,

LOL! It is not my intention, but I almost walked away with a 7MM-08 last week :D, I ended up with $600 worth of ice fishing stuff instead ... but will do if it goes off tangent. :cool:

I do like the author's conclusion. I do not invest in a gun or chambering because of it popularity. I own Carl Gustaf 6.5x55 Swedish mauser carbine that has been around longer than our venerable .30-06 (I also own one in Remington 1903).

Ed

Last edited:
The 7mm-08 Remington used to be a very popular cartridge in the 90's and 2000's, but it seems to have fallen in favor due to the 6.5mm craze. It's often overlooked today, but it was one of my first deer cartridges, and I hunted with it for many years with excellent results. Still keep in the safe at dad's house, right next to it's identical twin big brother in 7mm RemMag. I do plan on building another one, but with a heavy 26" barrel strictly for shooting the 180-195 grain Bergers, and will probably go with an AI chamber for a bit extra HP.

I will note one thing... He missed the date for the 7mm RemMag's introduction... It was introduced in 1962 (at the exact same time as the brand new Model 700), not 1963. ;)

I doubt that guys feelings will tip the sales numbers toward the 708 enough to measure.

The one rifle I regret selling was a 7mm-08 D Grade with a 20 inch barrel I had made around 1985 by the Remington Custom Shop. The name of the person that built it was John Remington. He said he was not related to Eliphalet. That rifle and it's littermate, a short action 257 Roberts with a 20 inch barrel, are in John Lacy's book.

Last edited:
It's already been 20 minutes! I'm surprised it's not at least well into page 3 by now!

Good article, btw. My son and one of my best friends both shoot an 08 and love them, my stepson has a Creed and loves it, I have a 270 WSM and love it. I think it's just a matter of getting good with what ya got!

BAM!

@FEENIX

Fishing is good!

I thought it was a good article. Didn't seem skewed either way. Only thing it doesn't mention is the twist advantage in the creed. Standard 8" twist is relatively quite a bit faster than a 9" twist in 7mm. Most of the 7-08 out there are saddled with slower than 9" twist with many of them having 10" twist barrels. With the disparity in twist rate then the creed really has an advantage with better bc bullets.

@FEENIX

Fishing is good!

I thought it was a good article. Didn't seem skewed either way. Only thing it doesn't mention is the twist advantage in the creed. Standard 8" twist is relatively quite a bit faster than a 9" twist in 7mm. Most of the 7-08 out there are saddled with slower than 9" twist with many of them having 10" twist barrels. With the disparity in twist rate then the creed really has an advantage with better bc bullets.

Ice fishing has not been as hot as in the past.

Good point on the twist.

What the heck man, guess you couldn't leave this one alone, had to ruin everyone's weekend with a Creed vs something thread!
I'll sign up for next weekend, Creedmore vs 7 sleazy Mag!!!

LOL! Just start the happy hour early and you'll be fine. :cool:

To the usthor's credit, he has a series of head-to-head articles/comparison.

Last edited:
My son shot his 6x6 Bull Elk this Fall with, a Tikka T3X, 7mm-08 using, the fairly high BC, 150 grain ELD-X at, 2,850 FPS, Bullet Had good penetration/ Mushroom, at 250 yards. His 7mm-08 has LOW recoil, shoots about, 1/2 MOA ( 2 3/4" 640 yard groups,.. over a Pack, Prone ) We Hunt with Packs on, use Kifaru Gun Bearers to carry Rifles W/ Trekking Poles to get into, the back Country. We use shooting Sticks when sitting with, our Packs supporting the Rifles "Toe" for a VERY steady, shooting platform, when on a Slope ! I couldn't find a "Deal" on a Lefty, 7mm-08 so ended up with, a "closeout" Tikka T3, SS lite, in .270 WSM, I'm happy tho, as it too, works fine, AGAIN, with fairly LOW recoil !
We love our 7.5 Pound Rifles and feel that, they are "enough Gun" to 650-700 yards.

I have a 22-250 that needs a new barrel and have been wanting to convert it to the creed or 7mm-08 for several years now. No matter how many articles I read, I just can decide which one to choose. From what I hear, you can't really go wrong with either one.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.