6.5 choices

IdahoJoe

So I "need" and new rifle and have had my heart set on a Montana Rifle Company x2 in 6.5-284. Then some how I got the idea of a 6.5-7mm SAUM. After some research I see that becoming quit a popular option. So should I go for the MRC or for the same price ruffly put together a savage 6.5 GAP?

Second if I do the savage who makes a pre fit savage barrel in this caliber?

Thanks

If you want a short mag 6.5, go with the 6.5 SS (Sherman Shortmag). It is the best short mag 6.5 out. Contact Rich Sherman (elkaholic) on here for more into about dies and a reamer rental.

So I "need" and new rifle and have had my heart set on a Montana Rifle Company x2 in 6.5-284. Then some how I got the idea of a 6.5-7mm SAUM. After some research I see that becoming quit a popular option. So should I go for the MRC or for the same price ruffly put together a savage 6.5 GAP?

Second if I do the savage who makes a pre fit savage barrel in this caliber?

Thanks

I would do the Savage because I'm a barrel nut. Shilen chambers for it. Criterion will do it LARGE SHANK only. IDK on others.
Brass availability on it looks good now and should be for the forseeable future.
The SS that Mudrunner mentioned would be best if you go SA for sure. Any smith can chamber a prefit for you, IF they will is another matter. Also brass will be more of a hassle.
If you go LA I think any of the 3 mentioned would be great. If SA I would go SS, SAUM then 284.
Yeah the SS and SAUM are sexy but all 3 of those rigs will be a great midrange game gun and LR steel or target rig. For me 6.5s rule the steel.
A LA in 284 would probably be the most SENSIBLE rig, with brass EVERYWHERE in high quality. The ballistics difference in all 3 are not huge.

I've been moving more towards standard cartridges and keeping things simple. Of what you are interested in, I'd probably stick with the 6.5-284 (Lapua brass everywhere).

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.