Oh the choices

Veritas

I have been pondering this for a few months now. I want to build a new rig. Seems easy but it ain't.

The list of goodies would be a 700 action bedded into an A5 converted to a single shot, barrel would finish at 30 depending on the round chosen, Jewel trigger. OK now that is out of the way what round. Nightforce scope.

I have a few in the 6mm dept but I want to go bigger. I'd like to shoot ground hogs but maybe a deer here and there.
6.5 x 284 imp. It's a proven round with a nice BC on some of the heavier bullets. Does it have the energry for a nice kill at long ranges. Of course shooting at a target at a defined yardage is going to take allot of the guess work out plus you don't have to kill paper.

Then I have given thaught about a 300 RUM with a 1x14 twist barrel. Shoot like a lazer the first 500 yards using lighter bullet but what happens when it moves out into the 7-1k yardage.

300 Lazzaroni Patriot seems to fit that bill also in a short action.

Now take it further 300 Lapua Mag Great bullet selection in the 180-210 grain bullets. Hotter round less barrel life, brass is a given since it's the best out there.

Well what's your take on this. Am I headed in the right direction or am I overlooking some things, does slow and steady win this race or shear horse power with the heavier bombs landing do a better job.

The 6.5-.284 will work just fine on deer out to around 800 yards with a 140g A-max or 142 SMK, then it runs too low on energy. Also a great chuck gun for who cares how far.

The 300 RUM will work even better for deer out to a little over 1000 especially if your running the 240 SMK. If your going to use the lighter bulets you might as well use a smaller case like the previously mentioned one. There's no such thing as over kill for chucks but a 300 RUM will start getting expensive if you do a lot of shooting.

The 300 Lapua will work even better than the 300 RUM for deer especially if you want to push it out to a mile with heavier bullets. For chucks it's the same as using the RUM.

All great choices but if not shooting past 800 yards and want a gun for chucks and deer I would go with the 6.5-284. Good luck, this is the hardest part of building a rifle...what cartridge???

just build a 338 and be done with it. you will the second go around so just build it the first time and be a happy camper!

just build a 338 and be done with it. you will the second go around so just build it the first time and be a happy camper!

Make it a big 338. RUM is good, Thunder, AX and AM and Edge are a bit better.

Even w/the RUM preliminary testing show that 2900 FPS is achievable with very good accuracy with SilverTip RBBT 265gr bullets that have the BC of a 300 SMK.

Plus who ever heard of shooting out a 338 barrel;)

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.