6.5 bullets NBT or SMK ?

haeffkr

Hello,
I have just spent the last hour reading about the SMK for hunting.
I also have been using Nosler B. Tips for my deer hunting exclusively for the last several years and love them cause they work and are accurate in my guns. (243 25-06 260 270)
I have a custom 260 w/28" heavy barrel that shoots very well (under .5" @100 yds)with 120 grn BT and I am getting a jewel trigger to replace the factory remington one to get the groups better....I have not really played with the loads much on this gun...my twist is 1-9 also.

My shots are going to be from 100 to 450 on deer and I do not really want to go to 142 SMK because I want less drop....but yes there are energy trade offs...etc.

Finally to the point...
Has anyone shot both BT and SMK in the 100-120 grn range in a 260 or 6.5 caliber, if so which is generally more accurate?

thanks Kevin

Here is a another members response to a very similar question.

[ QUOTE ]
For deer out to 400 yards there is no better bullet then the 120 gr Ballistic tip in the 6.5. For longer range the 140 gr A-Max or 142 gr SMK will work perfectly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Stephen

PS: Swift just released a 130 Scirocco! bc is .56-.58 IIRC

OK- thanks.
Does that response imply that the BT is more accurate than the SMK at less than 400 yards?

I will go with the most accurate of the two, what ever it is.

Kevin

I have a 6.5x300wsm and so far 130gr Barnes Triple Shocks have proved the most accurate for a hunting bullet

Has to do with ballistics I believe. It was in reference to a 6.5-06 AI. The 120s are little lazers, but at about 400 yards or so, the 140s become the lazers with added pop.

If you got the time/money, try Wildcats; you can get his RBBT match style bullets or bonded FB bullets (LD profile) in 5 gr increments from 120-140 and some real heavy-weights. Richard is getting some new dies that will produce bullets with the max attainable bc per die maker.

Wildcat Bullets

Give Richard a call or shoot him an email. He can answer any question you have about it.

Stephen

I emailed Richard and asked him some questions about the bullets - thanks.

If anyone else has experience with both bullets please let me know.

thank for the responses thus far.
Kevin

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.