6.5 build

3/4 degree 60 minute leade would be 1 3/4 degree leade I guess thats what you're saying since there are 60 minutes in one degree. Why not just say 1 degree 45 minute leade thats how most people would say it.

The Rifleman's Journal: Basics: The Leade Angle

The 264 Win Mag is very inefficient but the 6.5x 257 Weatherby is not, is that right? And the 6.5-06 is better than a 264, and the 6.5x 257 Weatherby with 3 percent more case capacity is going to walk all over the 264, I don't think I'll listen to your advice because I think you're a little mixed up.

30, 45, 60, 75, and 90 mins in a leade is the distance of the degree, have you ever even saw a reamerr in person. And yes Rich can get over 3200fps with his 6.5 Sherman, and 6.5-06 AI, hell I get 3074 from a 26" barreled 6.5x284 and can get close to 3200 in a 30" barrel. For a comparison apples to apples look at data from a 7mm rem mag and a 7mm wby mag, same size case other than neck length, same parent case yet some how the little 7mm wby is closer to the STW than the rem mag with hotter powders than the rem mag, think I'm full of **** go look at the hodgdons data site. How many accurate loads do you have with a 140 at over 3200fps?

"30, 45, 60, 75, and 90 mins in a leade is the distance of the degree"

Wow, I don't really know how to respond to that other than to say you need to do a little research.

H2o capacities of the 2 referenced cases.

7mm Remington Mag. (W-W): 83.2 grains
7mm Weatherby Mag. (Wby): 87.5 grains

Same case?

SAAMI specs for 2 referenced cases

7 Rem Mag 61,000 psi
7 Wea 65,000 psi

Now tell me, in a reloading manual which one will give the highest velocities with the same bullet?

My Model 700 CDL SF and my Stiller with a 28 inch Broughton will both shoot less than MOA to 1000 yds the CDL @3200 and the Stiller @ 3280.

Well you just confirmed one of my points by explaining tour version of h2o capacity and pressure instead of using a fired case. And if I was a betting man id bet you've bought into the "reseaarch that angle change over distance, 3/4, 1, and 1.5 degrees will be just. That no matter how long it is, find better research, and tell everyone that there hybrid throats need more research.

^^^^ Can somebody translate that, I can't figure out just what ol backwoods is tryin to say.

Here's some learnin for ya there ol backwoods.

brul.gif
brur.gif

brll.gif
brlr.gif

Angle measurement

The concept of angle

The concept of angle is one of the most important concepts in geometry. The concepts of equality, sums, and differences of angles are important and used throughout geometry, but the subject of trigonometry is based on the measurement of angles.

There are two commonly used units of measurement for angles. The more familiar unit of measurement is that of degrees. A circle is divided into 360 equal degrees, so that a right angle is 90°. For the time being, we'll only consider angles between 0° and 360°, but later, in the section on trigonometric functions, we'll consider angles greater than 360° and negative angles.
Degrees may be further divided into minutes and seconds, but that division is not as universal as it used to be. Parts of a degree are now frequently referred to decimally. For instance seven and a half degrees is now usually written 7.5°. Each degree is divided into 60 equal parts called minutes. So seven and a half degrees can be called 7 degrees and 30 minutes, written 7° 30'. Each minute is further divided into 60 equal parts called seconds, and, for instance, 2 degrees 5 minutes 30 seconds is written 2° 5' 30". The division of degrees into minutes and seconds of angle is analogous to the division of hours into minutes and seconds of time.

How about you forget about the ******** trig explanation that I learned in the 10th grade and pull your head out of your ***. Try 1 x (cross sectional bore are) x Pi x distance and you can get the total leade for any chambered barrel since no two barrels are the same. After the initial 3/4 of a degree I speak of your right in goes for 1 degree before full contact, but I have yet to see a leade angle speced 3/4 of a degree for 1 degree, I know what your trying to prove, go tell it to someone that gives a ****. Meantime when I need something I'll get Dave Kiff to draw it up since that's what he does.. oh and I'm very impressed by the way, your 264wm with a 28" barrel can out run my 6.5x284 by 100fps with probably 10-12grns more powder, amazing:rolleyes:

if 3100fps is all your looking for you can use a 6.5x284, a 6.5 swede or a 260 30 degree improved or ackley. all of these are capable of those speeds.

i was running 130 bergers in a plain 260 with a 28 inch tube at 3150.

The first 6.5 Sins are just getting built now, I would say velocity will be at least 6.5 STW range but I would be shocked if they didn't beat those by 100fps or more.

I'd actually be surprised if your 6.5 Sin didn't out run the 264 stw by. Over 200fps, having that shorter fat case leaves room for better powder choices, I bet you get 3700fps easy but I could be wrong.

6.5x55 swede. get a new bolt at brownelles. use RL powders and whatever bullets you feel comfortable using for what game at what range and go be awesome! :)

So I'm still undecided about this build. I've been thinking about it and talking to a couple buddies and I figure if I'm going to build a nice 6.5 then why not go with something that is a big barrel burner. I'm using it strictly for hunting so it should last me a few years. That being said I like the stw, but I would like to have a shorter case. Then I thought about going with the sin, but it seems like it is much more difficult to load for. So I was thinking, what about just taking down a 7mm Dakota case down to 6.5. Any thoughts on that idea? It seems like it would give me stw performance in a shorter package and not be as difficult to load for as the sin. If I am wrong about the sin then please tell me. I may have misunderstood some things I have read about it in the past. Thanks.

Another option is the 6.5 Remington Magnum

cd65remingtonmagnum.jpg

It is like a mini- 264 win mag

I have rebarreled two 300 win mag actions into 6.5 rem mags, one with a 26" Douglas and another with a 26" Shilen. Sold the Shilen to a friend and kept the Douglas

It is a commercial cartridge which means commercially made dies and cases.

Mine will push a 140 gr bullet at 3100 fps and a 130 gr bullet to 3200 fps. It uses a faster powder than the 264 win mag and thus will be easier on barrels.

Works perfect in both the long actions I rebarreled. You can set the lands to seat those long bullets way out there

HPIM1163.jpg

HPIM1162.jpg

HPIM1160.jpg
Woods, what twist barrels did you use for those builds, if you don't mind me askin.

Woods, what twist barrels did you use for those builds, if you don't mind me askin.

The Douglas is a 1 in 8 and the Shilen is a 1 in 9

I couldn't detect any difference but didn't do a lot of load development with 140 gr bullets in the 1 in 9 where a problem might have developed with a low velocity load

Another option is the 6.5 Remington Magnum

cd65remingtonmagnum.jpg

It is like a mini- 264 win mag

I have rebarreled two 300 win mag actions into 6.5 rem mags, one with a 26" Douglas and another with a 26" Shilen. Sold the Shilen to a friend and kept the Douglas

It is a commercial cartridge which means commercially made dies and cases.

Mine will push a 140 gr bullet at 3100 fps and a 130 gr bullet to 3200 fps.will be easier on barrels. It uses a faster powder than the 264 win mag and thus

Works perfect in both the long actions I rebarreled. You can set the lands to seat those long bullets way out there

HPIM1163.jpg

HPIM1162.jpg

HPIM1160.jpg
actually cases that use faster burning powders will wear out barrels sooner than slower powder cartridges.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.