6.5-284?

jschroed

Is the above cartridge to small for the occasional elk hunt? A cow elk if that makes any differance.

A 6.5-284 will get the job done. I would recommend using a 7mm or higher. If you decide to go with a 6.5-284 i would use at least a 140 grain bullet. Bullet choice i would use a nosler accubond or a barnes tsx.

It's just fine just need to be a little more prudent with it and shoot premium hunting bullets like the 140 Berger to get the most out of it, I'd be comfortable at 800 with one. My little 6.5 SS runs 200-250fps faster and I pole axed a decent bodied bull and a cow, they grabbed dirt .9 seconds after I pulled the trigger!

I agree with BignGreen. My daughter anchored an averaged size mature bull at 850 with my 264 Win Mag sending 140 Bergers. I realize the speeds are a little different with the 6.5-284 but it has good elk stopping potential.

6.5-284 will work very well for you if you know how to reload and hunt
shot placement will do alot for you over just buying a bigger round that will kill your shoulder and burn alot more powder. i have 1 on a rem 700 action and have taken many elk with it. bullets used on elk have been 140 nosler partition,140 barnes x , 140 Aframe, and 130 swift scirocco II
all have been 1 shot kills but none have been 700 yrds running dead away
again shot placement anytime over big caliber
my longest on elk was 548yrds with barnes X that was a clean pass through
good luck and post some pix of your new 6.5-284 if you pick 1 up

shot placement shot placement shot placement
You can look up videos of elk being killed with a 243win and the right bullet and shot placement. Shoot a heavy for caliber bullet and place it right behind the shoulder you'll kill elk just fine. Might not be the bang flop we all hope for but it'll be fine.

The 6.5x284 will be fine on elk. Just practice good shot placement . I took a nice Roosevelt bull at 550yard very impressed with the setup 140 vld , 26" barrel 2930fps.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.