6.5-284 reloading Dilemma Regarding H4350 Max Loads

I thinks he's referring to H4831SC and not the IMR 4831.

You are 110% correct; In the future I'll make certain to use the H when referring to H4831sc, and not just 4831sc.

LoL, it shows up once in a while out east.
haven't seen it in years here but did come across 2 pounds of Retumbo the other day, not sure I want to try again the first time called Berger on it for 140 gr and was told to start at 50 grains, fired one and used a rubber mallet to get bolt open and velocity was only 2640 never tried it again

haven't seen it in years here but did come across 2 pounds of Retumbo the other day, not sure I want to try again the first time called Berger on it for 140 gr and was told to start at 50 grains, fired one and used a rubber mallet to get bolt open and velocity was only 2640 never tried it again
I tried so many powders in my Savage 110 long action, and Retumbo is what finally delivered decent accuracy and velocity. Consistently under 1 moa, and what was weird it was better than that at distance. I was told the bullets weren't settling down until farther down range, I'm no physicist, so I don't even understand what all that means. I seated the Berger 140's somewhere around 10 20 thousandths under lands, so long ago I cannot remember exactly, but it gave me plenty of case capacity for the powder and I never did run into pressure. I could get more powder and velocity, but accuracy went south past 2950 fps. Can't tell you how many said this was impossible, but that little gun did it, and it shot well, but it was on a Savage Predator and the first time I took the action out of the stock I decided I wasn't going to keep the gun, way too complicated for taking a barreled action out. Great little caliber, I wouldn't mind having another, but on a better action. I don't have any data, but like I said in an earlier post it might be something to try if all else fails.

Must be Christmas! In my reloading room I have a large closet with several shelves where I store all of my ammunition. On the bottom shelf, I just found 150 pieces of 6.5-284 New Lapua Brass primed and ready to go. Completely forgot I had it. I was getting ready to order brass and decided to check the closet before I did. I already have 50 pieces loaded with 140gr A frames with N160 and 25 rounds of Spitzers for sighting in so I definitely don't need more brass. Just saved myself some serious $$$. Definitely going to be a good day. I just checked prices; Lapua brass has gone up 50% since the last time I bought it.

Last edited:
What caliber?

H1000 and Retumbo worked best for me. With 140 -143 grain bullets. Sold that rifle and built a 6-284. It LOVES Retumbo.

H1000 and Retumbo worked best for me. With 140 -143 grain bullets. Sold that rifle and built a 6-284. It LOVES Retumbo.
I don't know where you're getting your load data for Retumbo; I just looked at a half dozen different load data sites and no one even mentions Retumbo for the 6.5-284.

Was living in Arizona when I got my first 6.5-284. A number of people spoke highly of RL 17 so I tried it. It proved to be fast and accurate. One warm (90 plus) day I took it to the range and got a hell of a surprise, the numbers spiked, tight bolt, everything. After that experience, I stayed away from the RL's.
I'm running reloader 23, very temp stable by all accounts. The temp stable Reloader's are 15.5, 16, 23 and sort of 26.

Also, AR Comp. Which is supposedly the most temp stable powder available.

Ar Comp loosely approximates Varget.

16 is an approximate of H4350.

23 is an approximation to H4831sc.

I'm running reloader 23, very temp stable by all accounts. The temp stable Reloader's are 15.5, 16, 23 and sort of 26.

Also, AR Comp. Which is supposedly the most temp stable powder available.

Ar Comp loosely approximates Varget.

16 is an approximate of H4350.

23 is an approximation to H4831sc.
I've had to opposite effect with RL26. In AZ also and have had very bad temp spikes with it when it's hot out. I did develop my initial load during cold temps but when the summer months came around I had to back way off. I've had good results with H4831SC and H1000 in my 6.5-284 Norma. RL23 is a great powder as you mention.

What caliber?
65-284 I called Berger and asked them then called Gunwork's in Cody, Wy
I've had to opposite effect with RL26. In AZ also and have had very bad temp spikes with it when it's hot out. I did develop my initial load during cold temps but when the summer months came around I had to back way off. I've had good results with H4831SC and H1000 in my 6.5-284 Norma. RL23 is a great powder as you mention.

Yep, I have heard that before about rl26. If you look at the container it doesn't say that it's temp stable, it says something to the effect that it "responds consistently across different temperatures"….or something like that.

I tend to lean towards temp stability over that extra 100fps it usually gives.

For what it's worth Sir, my son and I have both hunted in Nevada with rifles chambered in 6.5-284 Norma. We handload exclusively and I have never even seen factory ammo in that caliber. We've been really impressed with this cartridge both for its easy accuracy, light recoil and surprisingly effective terminal ballistics. We've hunted Pronghorn, big Mule Deer and Elk. If it's any help, we've stayed with Hornady bullets in the 140 (the old A-Max) and the 147 ELD-M and haven't ever had a single problem. Quick efficient kills have been the situation every time. A friend of mine who is a long-range competitive shooter recommended RL-16 as he's found it to be to be temp insensitive; and he obtained good accuracy and low ES numbers with it. It was his experience RL-16 was a tad slower than H4350 but certainly in the same ballpark. We did get great results at the upper end of pressures with that powder but, after tinkering around for quite a while, we've determined, at least in our 24" guns with long throats, that both H4350 and RL-16 are a bit too fast. I think you'll have better luck with slower propellants. H4831SC, H1000 and even Retumbo come to mind. We've hunted in sub-zero and 100+ degree weather here in the high desert, so we almost exclusively stick with the aforementioned temp. insensitive powders. Every gun, barrel, chamber, etc. is a bit different so I hesitate to post what powder charges we use. I believe the slower powders are sure to give you the velocities and accuracy you want. The slower fuels do fill the case up, for sure, but by long-loading our ammo that's been less of a concern. Best of luck to you and happy hunting!
H4350 and h4831SC are temp insensitive powders.

Attachments

• EXTREME RIFLE POWDERS HODGDON.pdf
    145.9 KB · Views: 45