6.5-284 reloading Dilemma Regarding H4350 Max Loads

Attempting to establish some basic numbers for a ladder test for my 6.5-284 Norma using H4350 and Hammer 125HHT's. Using load data from the lyman book puts the max at approximately 47.6, using 125 gr. bullet. I reviewed data posted here with people using 140 grain bullets and 47-48 grains of H4350 powder. Hammer load data states a max load of 40.6 using a 131 grain bullet and another post lists a max load of 53.4 using the 125gr HHT. The 40.6 load using a 131 grain bullet seems far to low to be a Max. load, while the 53.4 load using a 125 grain bullet sounds to be beyond max. What's your position?
Start low and go up. What my rifle shoots doesn't mean you're rifle will shoot the same.

RL-23 is a good powder. I've found that if your combo likes it, it will probably love it once you get it sorted out.

Powder Valley has it on sale; I might have to pick up a couple of bottles.
I initially leaned towards H4350 because of the many popular responses from others using it as well of the fact that I have 9 pounds of it. After consideration, I ordered 2 pounds of 4831sc as many have suggested using it, and I will see what groups I can achieve with that. I'm also going to try N160 at it has gotten positive reviews and I've also got 8 pounds of that.

For what it's worth Sir, my son and I have both hunted in Nevada with rifles chambered in 6.5-284 Norma. We handload exclusively and I have never even seen factory ammo in that caliber. We've been really impressed with this cartridge both for its easy accuracy, light recoil and surprisingly effective terminal ballistics. We've hunted Pronghorn, big Mule Deer and Elk. If it's any help, we've stayed with Hornady bullets in the 140 (the old A-Max) and the 147 ELD-M and haven't ever had a single problem. Quick efficient kills have been the situation every time. A friend of mine who is a long-range competitive shooter recommended RL-16 as he's found it to be to be temp insensitive; and he obtained good accuracy and low ES numbers with it. It was his experience RL-16 was a tad slower than H4350 but certainly in the same ballpark. We did get great results at the upper end of pressures with that powder but, after tinkering around for quite a while, we've determined, at least in our 24" guns with long throats, that both H4350 and RL-16 are a bit too fast. I think you'll have better luck with slower propellants. H4831SC, H1000 and even Retumbo come to mind. We've hunted in sub-zero and 100+ degree weather here in the high desert, so we almost exclusively stick with the aforementioned temp. insensitive powders. Every gun, barrel, chamber, etc. is a bit different so I hesitate to post what powder charges we use. I believe the slower powders are sure to give you the velocities and accuracy you want. The slower fuels do fill the case up, for sure, but by long-loading our ammo that's been less of a concern. Best of luck to you and happy hunting!

I will echo several others that I have found great groups and velocities with RL 23 and 26 with the 124g HH's. If you have studied the Hammer load data, you have seen my responses there. The only way those are available is that you bought them before they disappeared, but they shoot lights out in my 6.5x284. I have also had great success with RL 16 (which is available) with the slightly lighter 118g HHT.

For what it's worth Sir, my son and I have both hunted in Nevada with rifles chambered in 6.5-284 Norma. We handload exclusively and I have never even seen factory ammo in that caliber. We've been really impressed with this cartridge both for its easy accuracy, light recoil and surprisingly effective terminal ballistics. We've hunted Pronghorn, big Mule Deer and Elk. If it's any help, we've stayed with Hornady bullets in the 140 (the old A-Max) and the 147 ELD-M and haven't ever had a single problem. Quick efficient kills have been the situation every time. A friend of mine who is a long-range competitive shooter recommended RL-16 as he's found it to be to be temp insensitive; and he obtained good accuracy and low ES numbers with it. It was his experience RL-16 was a tad slower than H4350 but certainly in the same ballpark. We did get great results at the upper end of pressures with that powder but, after tinkering around for quite a while, we've determined, at least in our 24" guns with long throats, that both H4350 and RL-16 are a bit too fast. I think you'll have better luck with slower propellants. H4831SC, H1000 and even Retumbo come to mind. We've hunted in sub-zero and 100+ degree weather here in the high desert, so we almost exclusively stick with the aforementioned temp. insensitive powders. Every gun, barrel, chamber, etc. is a bit different so I hesitate to post what powder charges we use. I believe the slower powders are sure to give you the velocities and accuracy you want. The slower fuels do fill the case up, for sure, but by long-loading our ammo that's been less of a concern. Best of luck to you and happy hunting!
Was living in Arizona when I got my first 6.5-284. A number of people spoke highly of RL 17 so I tried it. It proved to be fast and accurate. One warm (90 plus) day I took it to the range and got a hell of a surprise, the numbers spiked, tight bolt, everything. After that experience, I stayed away from the RL's.

you are correct for IMR 4350 but IMR 4831 regular and SSC show out of stock
I thinks he's referring to H4831SC and not the IMR 4831.