NesikaChad

Here's the latest.

BAT MB receiver
Broughton barrel 1-8ROT chambered in 6.5-284
My varminter stock
Sunny Hill Trigger guard
Jewel trigger
NF glass (old beater for now)

We'll see what she does, heading to the range as soon as it thaws out a bit. That'll give me plenty of time to get all jacked up on coffee so that I shoot minute of mountainside groups! :D

DSC_0073.jpg

DSC_0074.jpg

DSC_0071.jpg

DSC_0017.jpg

DSC_0014.jpg

ah! ha! gotcha! There's a piece of fuzz on the muzzle. Probably from a cotton glove that guys like you wear to handle such delicate precise works of art.:)

I'm impressed AGAIN!

Cotton gloves? My hands look like hamburger that's played in poop. Embarrassing when taking the lady to dinner and your hands resemble a Sasquatch!

I left that "fuzz" in there just to see who'd see it first.

We have a winner!

Actually, it's a chip left over from me crowning the barrel late last night. No worries, I patched her up before heading out to wring it out. The little vice/cradle on the bench is to blame for that fiasco. These are made by Berry's manufacturing. Picked them up at Shot Show.

Overall, very, very nice product. Well made, etc. One little problem. DON'T TRUST THE EFFING CRAP VELCRO! They used some sticky back stuff and the glue SUCKS. This gun took a "peter pan" off the **** thing onto the floor last week. I had to sand the stock over, cut the crown again, and go over everything with a fine tooth comb.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

I called them and informed them, they said "we'll handle it." Have not heard a word since. Normally I don't broadcast stuff like this, but for what I paid for them and after what happened AND considering its been almost a week I think I've been patient.

Like I said, IT IS a good product overall that's very well made. Just beware that the velcro is an afterthought that will need to be addressed first thing.

Ok, back to shooting talk:

It's S. Dakota in April which means overcast, 35 degrees, 20+mph winds, and wet.

Groups showed promise. I slapped the ammo together. 56g of short cut 4831, a lapua 140g lawn dart, norma case and a seating depth of "about that much".

Elevation at 100 was spot on but it wandered left and right about 5/8-3/4 inch. It's gusty so I'm blaming the wind and the shooter not caring enough to stay on top of it.

400 yard groups were ok. A little big so I'll go back this evening when hopefully this crap weather settles down.

Awesome looking work...getting to be a habit with ya:). Love the BAT action, keep us posted on how it finally shoots.

Chad,

Bad things happen to good people.......

You seemed to handle it well.........

I sense less frustration due to your own turn around time.:)

Nothing lost but some sleep........

Chad,
Sweet looker. Got a picture of the ejection port side (left) so this action? Wonder how large a cutout Bat used on their actions.

I see you're a sponsor of this Forum now. That means you can lay it on hot and heavy now!

Warning to all... better get your orders in soon before Chad gets so busy it'll take 8 or more months to get the work completed. That's what happened to Kirby and Shawn. Expect the same with Chad. You've been warned.

Chad, which actions do you use the most with your custom builds for a bolt action repeater rifle? Thanks,

Last edited:
I'm a hooker when it comes to actions, I really don't care what action goes on what so long as it's made well, functions well, and is appropriate for the application.

If I were cornered and held at gunpoint I guess I'd have to choose the Nesika first. Only because I ran the shop for 3 years so there's an emotional attachment. I will admit that affection has eroded somewhat now that the old crew is long gone. I will say this though. I visit with the guys there now frequently and they are doing a nice job again. There were problems for awhile but they've gone back and researched the archive prints and revamped the programming. The 1st article receivers I saw a month or so ago were very, very, very nice. Something to keep in mind. . .

I really like the stuff Mr. Jim Borden is putting out. I have one in here now and it's THE HEAT. Very, very well made and the attention to detail is all top shelf. I can't wait to get this rifle wrapped up as it'll be a nice piece when its all done.

I like the Defiance actions as well. Glen and Lisa have done a remarkable job of getting back on their feet after the Nesika/Dakota Arms/Technology Funding fiasco. The Defiance stuff is a good piece. I've done a few rifles on them now and they have all shot very well, the finish work is good, and they deliver on time!-something of an oddity it seems in the custom action world.

Then there's the Barnards, Stillers, Stolle's, Anschutz, and Grunig and Elmiger, Bleikker, RPA quadlocks, etc.

There's a lot of good stuff out there and I've been fortunate to work on many of them. It boils down to individual taste.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.