6.5 284 Build

ramrod79

Just looking for some opinions here and maybe someone that has built one can help me out. I want to build a 6.5 284 but I am unsure if I should build on a short action with a Wyatt ext mag box , will that let me seat bullets out far enough? or should I go to a long action, I will be only using 130 GR bullets in this rig and I want the out fit to be no more than 7 LB gun with scope ,any help would be appreciated.

Bulid would be on a stiller action maybe a Rem action but cost to do a rem action dictates stiller , 24" #2contour barrell, light weight Wild cat stock 18OZ no bootom metal to save weight ,possibly a removable break , Leupold VXII 4-12x40 with M1 turret.

Long action is the way to go, why limit yourself. Stuff'um full, seat them out and shoot them long.

Thanks for the help guys after oding some thinking the extra OZ for a long action is worth being able to seat bullets out to the proper lenght.

With the weight, action length, barrel, bullet, your are thinking about , you might consider a Rem 260, or Creedmore. You will trade off some velocity but the cartridge might be a lot more balanced for the kind of rifle you are building, and you could get longer barrel life. For a 6.5x284, I'd go with a long action. IMO.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.