6.5 284 Build

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by ramrod79, Aug 24, 2013.

1. ramrod79

ramrod79 Well-Known Member

Just looking for some opinions here and maybe someone that has built one can help me out. I want to build a 6.5 284 but I am unsure if I should build on a short action with a Wyatt ext mag box , will that let me seat bullets out far enough? or should I go to a long action, I will be only using 130 GR bullets in this rig and I want the out fit to be no more than 7 LB gun with scope ,any help would be appreciated.

Bulid would be on a stiller action maybe a Rem action but cost to do a rem action dictates stiller , 24" #2contour barrell, light weight Wild cat stock 18OZ no bootom metal to save weight ,possibly a removable break , Leupold VXII 4-12x40 with M1 turret.

2. hawk45

hawk45 Well-Known Member

Long action is the way to go, why limit yourself. Stuff'um full, seat them out and shoot them long.

3. RPrice

RPrice New Member

+1:)

4. ramrod79

ramrod79 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the help guys after oding some thinking the extra OZ for a long action is worth being able to seat bullets out to the proper lenght.

5. carnyman

carnyman Well-Known Member

Just curious, why only 130gr bullets and which one is your prefrance?

6. Greyfox

Greyfox Well-Known Member

With the weight, action length, barrel, bullet, your are thinking about , you might consider a Rem 260, or Creedmore. You will trade off some velocity but the cartridge might be a lot more balanced for the kind of rifle you are building, and you could get longer barrel life. For a 6.5x284, I'd go with a long action. IMO.