6.5-270 Gunwriters Cartridge

Wild Monkey

I stumbled across an Article published online years ago regarding a 6.5mm-270 Improved based off the 264 Win Mag Full length sizing die. They apparently used a combination of Reamers to accomplish the chamber. I don't recall which 08 Case they used for the shoulder design regarding angle and exact width. This Wildcat offers ample capacity for today's high BC bullets & the new long boat tail all copper hunters.
1690434942510.png

God all this fancy new stuff, doesn't do anything the 6.5 Creedmoor doesn't do, just new marketing to push new barrels on the rubes who buy off the shelf! There's no need for this when the Creedmoor did it already!!!

Burning Set On Fire GIF by US National Archives

But for real though, got a link to the article? It's always interesting to see the thought process that goes into making tweaks like this. Keeps things moving forward one way or the other. It ain't stupid if it works!

Sadly I've lost the link, it was transposed from a Magazine article and is listed in a database somewhere. The only thing I know for certain is the Neck Shoulder junction was created using the 264 Win Mag sizing die. They had listed the entire incarnation from beginning to end as the Gunwriters did way back when. There was a total lack of Brass prep and they were rewarded with magical results from this simplistic Cartridge.// My GOD man get out of that Fire!

So this must have taken place back before Ackley started making his improves. Or why not neck down a
270Ai to 264. Done. 🤔
Trying to compare the 6.5-PRC to a 270 based wildcat is like comparing a brand new 100k Silverado to a five year old Tundra, I can't afford the Chevy but the Tundra will still get the job done even with high mileage. The original article only required use of the 264 Win Mag die with a Single pass before Loading and firing, that is a very simple process, and no more difficult than standard reloading. I posted the Illustration to show how much more case capacity this Cat has over a standard narrow Ackley Improved. I understand Otto walked on water to many, but just like Virginia Slims we've come a long way baby. (Newton, Walker, Niedner, Page, Huntington, Donaldson)

Trying to compare the 6.5-PRC to a 270 based wildcat is like comparing a brand new 100k Silverado to a five year old Tundra, I can't afford the Chevy but the Tundra will still get the job done even with high mileage. The original article only required use of the 264 Win Mag die with a Single pass before Loading and firing, that is a very simple process, and no more difficult than standard reloading. I posted the Illustration to show how much more case capacity this Cat has over a standard narrow Ackley Improved. I understand Otto walked on water to many, but just like Virginia Slims we've come a long way baby. (Newton, Walker, Niedner, Page, Huntington, Donaldson)
Not really. You're going to end up somewhere within 50fps of the 6.5prc or the 6.5-06. Within a grain of powder. Since you have to have a barrel made, you can throat it for any length bullet you want and twist it however you want. At the end of the day you end up at the same performance as the prc, or a couple other 6.5 offerings, but with a wildcat.

I like the idea, but if a guy has .270win cases and is going through the process, why not just blow it out to;

6.5-280ai?
That is a question you have to ask yourself? The Illustration depicts a 30 Degree Shoulder. I'm fairly certain the Sherman is a 40. There is a whole world out there full of ideas and designs to choose from. It's not my design, but I like it. It's based on the do-it-yourselfer.

There is nothing here saying it can't outperform the 6.5-PRC since it would have more case capacity. If you're a 6.5-PRC fan go for it. Remember the PRC takes a magnum bolt face and last I checked it goes for around $50 a box of ammo & Brass is scarce and expensive. I like the 6.5-PRC, and I have been tempted, but there really is no such thing as the perfect Cartridge.

That is a question you have to ask yourself? The Illustration depicts a 30 Degree Shoulder. I'm fairly certain the Sherman is a 40. There is a whole world out there full of ideas and designs to choose from. It's not my design, but I like it. It's based on the do-it-yourselfer.

There is nothing here saying it can't outperform the 6.5-PRC since it would have more case capacity. If you're a 6.5-PRC fan go for it. Remember the PRC takes a magnum bolt face and last I checked it goes for around $50 a box of ammo & Brass is scarce and expensive. I like the 6.5-PRC, and I have been tempted, but there really is no such thing as the perfect Cartridge.
So what are you achieving that the 6.5-06 isn't, or I guess the 6.5-06ai? I'd imagine if you put those cases side by side you wouldn't be able to tell which is which. Half decent chance they'd chamber in either other's chamber and within a tenth of a grain in powder capacity, it'd matter more who is making the brass and thickness.
In fact are you sure you're not just exploring another way to get 6.5-06 brass?

That is a question you have to ask yourself?
Just blow it off. Wildcatting is for people with vision, not with people who want to take the easy road of what's already available.

Why didn't PO Ackely, Kirby Allen, Rich Sherman, any of the other guys who's cats have gone mainstream just stick to what was available? Cause ain't no one can stop us 😈

One day I'll make a functional 6 RUM just to make people mad and cry about the poor barrels I'm abusing 😂