Weatherby's new 6.5 RPM cartridge

I also have a 28" proof blank in the closet. Undecided if when this barrel burns out I'll stay RPM or go 6.5-284. Leaning more towards the 284. Weatherby brass is not the best quality for what you pay. 6.5-284 norma or Lapua brass is cheaper and holds better tolerances. I can only get about 4 loadings out of the Weatherby brass and not even pushing it hard. Very sloppy primers

I also have a 28" proof blank in the closet. Undecided if when this barrel burns out I'll stay RPM or go 6.5-284. Leaning more towards the 284. Weatherby brass is not the best quality for what you pay. 6.5-284 norma or Lapua brass is cheaper and holds better tolerances. I can only get about 4 loadings out of the Weatherby brass and not even pushing it hard. Very sloppy primers
That's a good idea, my long action long freebore 6.5x284 runs 156s @ 2960 w/ rl26 from a 26". I'm at least a full grain below psi as I ran up to 3030fps w/o bolt lift or ejector marks. I was running peterson at 2980 and it shot great, but it was too warm, swapped to lapua which holds 2.2 grains more water and made a big difference. All case bulging in yhr web disappeared too. I prob should been running the peterson around 2935 top end.

Yep, the brass is holding the RPM back. I had high hopes it would be Norma, but it acts just like Hornady's early really soft stuff. I will say the Backcountry and Backcountry 2.0 Carbon are amazingly accurate though. The concept of the round built to maximize a light rifle was well executed. The RPM itself is not revolutionary, but if you are looking for a light rifle for a rough country hunt where you might not see the truck for a week or so the RPM in one of the Backcountry versions checks a lot of boxes, at least for me. It looks like I am going end up running the 121Hammer just under or at 3500FPS.

Yes. I would love the rpm if I could get it in Peterson, norma, or lapua. This brass is so soft that I have to wait a couple firings for it to harden up before I hit them with the torch.

That's a good idea, my long action long freebore 6.5x284 runs 156s @ 2960 w/ rl26 from a 26". I'm at least a full grain below psi as I ran up to 3030fps w/o bolt lift or ejector marks. I was running peterson at 2980 and it shot great, but it was too warm, swapped to lapua which holds 2.2 grains more water and made a big difference. All case bulging in yhr web disappeared too. I prob should been running the peterson around 2935 top end.
What's your freebore? I'm only a hop skip and a jump away from LRI and that's where it will go when the swap happens. They have two 6.5-284 reamers. .199 and .187 freebore. My mag box lets me run out to 3.340" and plan on sticking with the 153.5 or 156 bergers

Did err that mule deer looks like it will gross high?
He grossed just under 190" but net shot down to 164". Scored off the typical frame. Punished for extras

Attachments

• 948EFDD9-3F04-4ABE-821C-FB96D305C581.jpeg
    948EFDD9-3F04-4ABE-821C-FB96D305C581.jpeg
    85.3 KB · Views: 57
Yep, the brass is holding the RPM back. I had high hopes it would be Norma, but it acts just like Hornady's early really soft stuff. I will say the Backcountry and Backcountry 2.0 Carbon are amazingly accurate though. The concept of the round built to maximize a light rifle was well executed. The RPM itself is not revolutionary, but if you are looking for a light rifle for a rough country hunt where you might not see the truck for a week or so the RPM in one of the Backcountry versions checks a lot of boxes, at least for me. It looks like I am going end up running the 121Hammer just under or at 3500FPS.
I was looking at a couple of rifles in the RPM but I keep seeing the issue of brass in this forum and others too, too much to ignore.
1. I was looking at buying a MkV Hunter in RPM, I will hold off on that one.
2. I will be setting up a shouldered Pre Fit Model 700 as a heavier rifle with fast twist 30-06 & 270 barrels and was looking at the RPM as the primary barrel, no I am considering the 6.5x284 as the primary. Since the RPM is a stretch 6.5x284 I would think I could just rechamber that barrel to RPM later if things improve.

What's your freebore? I'm only a hop skip and a jump away from LRI and that's where it will go when the swap happens. They have two 6.5-284 reamers. .199 and .187 freebore. My mag box lets me run out to 3.340" and plan on sticking with the 153.5 or 156 bergers
Its a new saami spec reamer, freebore is about 300k. For a 156 in a 6.5x284 id say 240 is about ideal. My bearibg surface is half way up the neck 40k off lands.

Group out today. 200 yards. First two rounds fell into .464 moa then the third one opened it up to just over 1 moa. The last round did feel "sticky" when I chambered it. Gun was pretty dirty though.

I've been using my calipers a lot with the cartridge to try and hunt down the "flyer" issue. I believe it's spring back neck tension variation (molecular level stuff) or un-even neck thickness. Haven't got to play with the neck turner yet as I need to order a mandrel die next.

Attachments

• D87BD575-F24E-47C0-8C98-03A226BD67C5.jpeg
    D87BD575-F24E-47C0-8C98-03A226BD67C5.jpeg
    123.9 KB · Views: 48