6.5 × 55 best powder for 129gr. bullets

I just happen to remember what one loading manual stated about the 6.5x55 Swede. Feed it any medium to slow burning powder and it will sing a pretty tune. :D Good luck for what is left of the season.

I just got my 6.5x55 swede in its a rem.700 classic with a 22 " barrel I can't find any nosler 130 accubond anywhere, so I'm going with 129 sst and either imr 4831, or a4350, or imr 4350 depending what you guys who shoot the swede thinks is best, also what kind of velocity can I expect from a 22 inch barrel . anything you boys can tell me will be helpful. Thanks, btw. If any of you have a rem.700 in this caliber I would like to how you like it.

10 years ago the US was importing Husqvarna 1896 Mausers in 270.
The 270 SAAMI registered at 65,000 psi is the maximum possible for factory loading of the 0.470" large Boxer primed Mauser case head. The proof loads on those rifles were between 84,500 psi and 91,000 psi.

So 96 Mausers ARE modern rifles, the problem is that the 6.5x55 is SAAMI registered at 45,000 psi, so all the load books were based on that.

One thing I don't like about the 6.5x55 is the 0.480" chamber and brass made on US tooling is 0.470".

I like H4350 with 130 gr. Even compressed, it is not too hot.... 3000 fps.

With 129 gr bullet and a 22" barrel either powder you listed will get you between 2700 and 2800 fps. I personally like Accurate 4350 and would look hard at 46 grs of it with the 129 gr SST. Hint Hint :D

Yeah I have the nosler manual but with so many old Mauser rifles still in use both nosler and Hornaday list loads on the lite side. I wonder if I could use 260rem load data as a starting point and work up, but I'm a rookie reloader and I'm not sure that's a good idea. What I Really need is someone to recommend a good powder I have Imr 4831, h414, Imr 4350, A4350, Imr 8208xbr. Just need to know we're to start. I'm not dead set on 129 gr's either I'm open for info on 140's.
Ralph, the Hornady 8th. Edition shows a max load for a 129 gr. to be 42.4 gr. of IMR 4350. Just a caution to you. If you load one bullet you should consult that MFGR.'s manual. Good luck on finding a load.

Thanks devil dog, I have the 8th edition Hornaday manual too I also went to Hodgdon Web site they list starting load at 42.0 and max 46.0 of imr 4350. But as all ways I'll start low and workup I do appreciate the heads up. Semper fi!

First off...You will have no problem ethically taking elk, deer (WT and Mulies), antelope or 250# hogs with your 6.5 swede with a well placed bullet. They have all gone down quickly with my swedes. Both elk that I took went less than 50 yards after the shot.
As for loads, I do primarily shoot 140 gr bullets with Rel 19 and Rel 22..Both with 46 grains. In my tikka 6.5 I shoot 127 barnes lrx with 43 gr of Rel 15. I did get great grouping with 140 gr partitions and barnes vld with 42 grains of Rel 15 (pretty hot load use caution).
Without much work or strain, you will find a fine shooting load for your swede. 6.5's are great. I haven't found one that won't shoot.
Great caliber and great choice.
If you have specific questions, feel free to PM me. I'll help if I can.

Ralph, I had the same gun Remington 700 classic 6.5x55. I couldn't get it to group at all with my reloads and factory loads I was dissapointed in it. But the best group I got was with hornday 129gr rn with 41gr of imr4064. I also tryed 140gr with h380 45.5gr and imr4350 44.5gr. No mater what I did it wouldn't shot.I put it in a different factory stock and a bell&Carlson free floated stock same results. I sold the rifle and just found me a new one just like it new and unfired the other was used when I got it and previous owner may not have broke it in properly. I will post my result if you would like as would like to here yours. As far as the accubonds I have shot two deer with them out of a 300win mag 180gr the first one shot it looking at me in the chest bullet went in and come out the back end the other broadside right behind the sholder 30cal hole in 30cal hole out no expansion at all the deer ran about 100 yards just wanted to give you my experience with them not downing them at all just wasn't what I was looking for. They were very accurate

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.