6.5 × 55 best powder for 129gr. bullets

Ralph Rupple

Hi, everybody I just bought a rem.700 in 6.5x55 swede. Looking for modern load data and powder recommend by you guys. Don't know a whole lot about the caliber, but from what I've read seems to be a deer slayer.gun)

Ralph, I feel your pain. I use the nosler manual as it does the best job for the swede. It doesn't list the 129gr but I'm sure you'll find it useful.
If all else fails, start low and work up.

Yeah I have the nosler manual but with so many old Mauser rifles still in use both nosler and Hornaday list loads on the lite side. I wonder if I could use 260rem load data as a starting point and work up, but I'm a rookie reloader and I'm not sure that's a good idea. What I Really need is someone to recommend a good powder I have Imr 4831, h414, Imr 4350, A4350, Imr 8208xbr. Just need to know we're to start. I'm not dead set on 129 gr's either I'm open for info on 140's.

I assume that your Remington has a 24" barrel. I have had great success with Accurate 4350 which you state that you have. I have the Accurate manual and it list loads that are 51,000 PSI which is the same as factory Norma ammo which the Scandinavians have used in small ring Mausers for 100 years. With the listed max loads with the A4350 you can't get much if any more of it in the case. I use 46 grs A4350 with 120 ballistic tip and Sierra Sp and I get 3000 fps out of my 29" barrel on my sported Mauser 96. I use 45 grs of A4350 with Hornady and Sierra 140 gr SP and get 2800 fps. Both loads with all bullets shoots under 1/2" at 100 yards and either load kills deer like lightening has struck them. I use Remington cases and Fed. 210Match primers.
The Accurate manual uses a 24" barrel to do their work up and they state that with the 129 Hornady bullet 46 grs A4350 does 2753 fps.

That's what I needed to hear thanks man I appreciate the information, this is the reason I love this site somebody gonna know something

I have a custom Rem with 23 inch Lalija I use 45hr of H 4350 210 M and Barnes 127lrx and they clock at 2950 and they are accurate look at gun photos I have targets pisted there. Hope that helps you.

Thanks ramrod I've never used Barnes bullets before that very interesting data and 2950 and accurate has got my undivided attention thanks for taking the time to share hope one day to return the favor.

I have loaded for several old masuers and a few modern ones. My go to in my current new rifle is a 130gr Accubond over a charge of IMR4831. I just use Hodgdon website data and slowly work up until I see pressure then back off. I get 2890fps with that load. That data by the way is for the 129gr.

I have shot more game including elk and moose with 6.5's then any other round. They work.

Thanks cap dog.I got another question for you are the accubond good for whitetails, Im real excited about the new 6.5 everybody I talk to says it's a awesome round

I have not used the 130 Accubond in my 6.5x55 but do use it for deer in my 264 Win mag but the muzzle velocity is 3350 fps. I have killed a good number of deer from about 30 yards out to 500ish yards and the results have been the same. Bang Flop through and through both shoulders. I have only recovered one bullet from a buck at 111 yards. Bullet was placed on the edge of left shoulder as the deer almost faced me. Bullet smashed scapula made mush of the lungs and shredded the liver and messed up the guts. Bullet was found in the smashed ball socket of the right ham. Text book mushroom and weight was 87 grs. Yep I would say that it would be a great shoot most anything elk and under size bullet out of the 6.5x55. :D

i think im gonna give the accubonds a try gotta start somewhere right lol.you guys have got me fired up about my new 6.5x55 think im gonna build a 6.5 sherman nextgun)gun)

im thinking imr 4831 130 accubonds it well work are it wont but im ready to get started we got a couple of weeks of deer season left here i still got 2 tags left. from im hearing on this site 6.5 swede a bad little sucker.

Yes the 130gr Accubond work extremely well on WT's. Have had great success with 140gr SST's and even plain jane 120gr Speer Sp's.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.