55g SX proves its worth!!

remingtonman_25_06

I loaded up a few shells with the 24.5g IMR-4895 load w/55g SX's in my .222 rem. My wife and I decided to go put a 200 yard zero on the gong and do some shooting. Also just to see if there was any coyote/rabbits running around. Well when we got there, I spotted a little jack underneath a sagebrush about 15 yards away. Good test for the SX! It pretty much blew him in half, just hangin by a litle piece of skin. The next one was about 50 yards out. He was hunkered down eating, facing away. I put the SX right up his tailpipe. It completely zippered him open from his butt to his chin, just laid him out like if you were going to do surgery, it was AWESOME!!! I wished I hadn't forgotten my memory card in my computer or I woulda got pics, Doh!! There not half bad accurate either..5 shot group off my bipod/truck was about 1.5" dead center on the 200 yard gong! I think I like these 55g SX's /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I have been using v-max in my 222 to shoot what we call whistle pigs in western Idaho and they kill the small varmits well. This year I tried the SXs and really like the visual effects with them. They just go to pieces and immediatly dead. It will be the only bullet that I use in my 222 from now on.

Varmit1

Made by Hornady Part#2260

The XS is Horadys forerunner to the Vmax. It does not have the plastic tip,BC or the velosity range of the Vmax but to 300 yards they are a great bullet.

SX performance/ self tested

Yep, those "old" SX bullets perform quite well, dangit. lol

Years back, I closed the bolt on a Sako Vixen in 222 mag with a 50 grain SX in front of 26 grains of 4895 with the gun, pointed down of course, EXCEPT it was pointed at MY FOOT resting on a mound.

BANG!........ah CRAP. :eek:

Performed quite nicely. I had a hole roughly the size of a nickle with meat hanging out the bottom of my shoe.

TG I didnt "aim" better and hit MAJOR bones. Just tore the living heck outa the base of my two smaller toes.

I was younger, dumber.......two lessons learned.:(

light bulbDO NOT set a factory trigger less than 1.5 lbs and
light bulbDO NOT point anything loaded at ANYTHING living.......even by accident.

Unless of course you INTEND to shoot it.gun)

Wasn't long range though....sorry. :p
Steve

Wow, I use a lot of 50 grain Hornady 50 grain SPSX bullets and I'm surprized it didn't take out a full 4" circle of meat. That had to be ugly. I shoot them out of my 22-250 at 3800fps and they will turn a 2 pound digger squirrel in to a strip off baco bits and fur strips up to 3 feet long. At close range it's dime sized chunck in a 40 foot circle.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.