510 Allen Magnum finished after some long nights this weekend...

BigRich,

Naaa, keep reading on the web. Theres always new toys to pick from!!! Get your wife a pretty one!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kirby Allen(50)

Buffalobob,

Many ask me the same thing about standard 50 BMGs. The answer is SHOOT THEM. That in and if itself is worth having one. If you have not shot a big 50, you are really missing out in life. I will warn you though, if you shoot one, you will probably own one!!!

With alot of rifles you know you have some power such as the big 338s and other rounds... With the big 50 cals, not only do you know you have ALOT of powder at your finger tip, everyone within 500 yards knows it as well!!!

At 50 yards you can still feel the shock wave hit your chest from the blast of a 50 cal and one of these brakes. Just have to feel it to believe it. Watching someone shoot one of these rifles prone is almost as fun as shooting it yourself, especially in taller grass. It is just laid flat for 20 yards off both side of the brake. When they came up with the word AWSOME, it was after watching a 50 cal go off with a big muzzle brake!!!

Yep, the 50 moa base will be for zeroing at 1500 yards and going out past 2000 yards. The USS Xotic will allow you to dial in for most ranges from 1/2 mile out to well past 2000 yards with its 105 moa of vertical adjustment along with using the mil dot reticle for reference holds.

Kirby Allen(50)

Eaglet,

Hey, glad you made it home. I guess I better get a package headed your way!!! Almost finished, just have to clean up the bedding and get her live fire tested.

Nope, your about 2.88 miles out of my range!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Hired Gun,

I hear you on that one!!

As far as they are concerned, this is a paper puncher or chuck rifle. The nice thing about chucks is if you hunt them on steep cliffs all you have to do is get close and the rock slide will generally get the ones you miss /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!!! Did I mention API rounds. Just kidding, there will never be an API or tracer fired though this match grade barrel. They are fun to play with but not accurate at all!!

Kirby Allen(50)

You sound very proud and excited Kirby and why would'nt you be!!!!!!

Well done and I'm looking forward to see the field results /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I will not be shooting this thing without a brake. ...
As a result, Black sunshine may be getting a brake job!!! Am I turning into a pattsy!!
Kirby Allen(50)

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm glad it's not only me that has turned into a kick sissy by efficient muzzle breaks installed by Kirby. That Kirby feller will mess you up. I'll bet you can't shoot a factory 7 lb pull trigger anymore either. He ruined me on that too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Headspace is 4 thou shorter then the standard BMG so standard BMG ammo can be fired in this chamber safely and accurately.

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean it can chamber standard 50 BMG ammo? If so, it won't be California legal (the biggest market).

[ QUOTE ]
My mother in law has a flower garden next to my shop. It was about 15 feet from the muzzle of my 510 AM when I touched it off. Lets just say the flowers were much fuller and prettier earlier this morning!!! There were flower petals blown over 20 sq yards!!! I may get a chewing for that but at least I know the brake works amazingly well.

[/ QUOTE ]
She didn't complain about the blast? Which Allen Mag made her deaf?

When shooting my 50's, I cram 29 dB foam filters all they way into my ear canal the top off with my 24 dB Peltor Tactical 7s electronic muffs (53 dB total Noise Reduction) - even so, after 10 - 15 blasts, I've had enough. I've been told the concussion is going thru my sinus (which the muffs don't help). Even tho I'm very used to shooting a 50, I get shell shocked every time I fire at a match (with 50's to the left and right firing at random).

I made this graph of Dan's data on change in barrel len v. change in velocity (Dan even thanked me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif) Going from 35" to 40" should yield another 125 FPS (with standard 50 BMG), your larger capacity case should see a bit more.

Will you be going to a faster twist for the big pills? I just took delivery of a 9.5 twist 50 BMG (my other three fifties are the standard 15 twist). My fast twist 50 was built for sabots, sub-sonics and Richards Kilo-grain projectiles.

Are you planning on using the AR-50 as the platform on future 510 Allens?

Very cool gun. I guess four 50 BMGs is not really enough, I need to start saving for Kirbys King Kong.

Skip AI,

I have some friend coming down next week and we will be playing with the 510 alot more. I will report on the results we get from those tests!!

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

B1G_BORE,

I will admit I am pretty happy with my muzzle brakes!!! No need for recoil any more for this kid, I guess my question is why put up with it when you do not have to??

Factory triggers, well, lets just say they get tuned before a single round is every put down the barrel. But as far as factory rifles go, as a smith I walk into a gun shop and see a row of parts on the racks, not rifles!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I set my rifle up to shoot standard BMG ammo. That said, being the type of feller I am, if someone from California wants a 510 Allen Magnum, I will simply chamber the barrel so that its headspace is 10 to 20 thou shorter then the standard BMG case. That way you could not take a standard 50 BMG round and chamber it but it would still be a simple proceedure to run a 50 BMG case up into a 510 AM FL die and set the shoulder back to the proper amount for the correct crush fit for fireforming brass.

There are ways around Kalifornia Laws!!!

My 50 Allen Tactical will also be marketed to the Kali crowd a well which will offer basically 50BMG performance in a totally differnet case design.

The Ma in law was not home but she is pretty used to muzzle blast living around me!!

For the heavy pills I am just sticking with the 1-15 twist. From the projections I have seen, this twist should be adiquate for all the bullets we want to test. From reading on testing of fast twist barrel in the 50 BMG, the advantage was not really there over a standard twist barrel. That said, some have played with 1-12 twist barrels with very good results so if I have to go to a faster twist, I may go with a 1-12 but thats as fast as I will ever go.

Any 50 BMG receiver will work great for the 510 Allen Mag. I used the AR-50 because it was a Full length botl action which I could accurize fully, it has a floating bolt head which I really like for accuracy, its a 3 lug design which I also like.

It uses Rem 700 triggers, always a good thing!! It has a VERY positive safety design.

The bedding design is as good as anything out there right out of the box with no bedding at all. And finally it just feels good to shoot. Nice adjustable cheek piece for any height of scope. Adjustable recoil pad location.

While it definately has a military look to it, I do like the lines of the rifle.

One other feature is that this receiver is WAY longer then the 50 BMG requires, In fact it was designed to be used with the Russian version of the 50 which is significantly larger then the 50 BMG. If I can find a reliable soruce of brass for the 50 Russian, there will be a new 50 cal round from APS, basically the same design but on the significantly larger case.

That all depends on if this larger case design proves worth while that is. Getting cases is the only real issue so if you know anyone out there that can get me 50 Russian cases, let me know!!

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Buffalobob,

Forgot to answer your question about the bipod.

Basically I will just fit it with new mounting pins to take up the slack in the factory system. Pretty loose. I am also going to look into fitting it with some bias springs to help stabilize it for shooting instead of it having the ability to flop easily side to side.

I am also going to look at increasing its range of tilt to make it more usible in the field.

Kirby Allen(50)

Kirby

Thanks, I was putting a pod loc on last night for the Harris bipod that will go on the 7AM and was curious as to how much more damage I could do to it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.