460 wby "ok for Elk"???

If the barnes tipped bullet is made like their 30 cal counter parts which i seen in 300 win mag @ 3200-3600 fps then it should hold up.I looked @ 460 steyr 20$ loaded shell .Now if the rifle was 2k i would like one but not 5k .
also i like the weatherby becasue you can always download a big shell.But you cant always uploaded super powerful smaller shell's.I think the 300 grain barnes tipped would look pretty neat to loaded in a weatherby 460.Im more of a shotgun person so after i buy it i peobably want buy a another rifle withing 5 years.But i held a vangaurd today and it's smoother action than a rem 700 which surprised me.My brother has a m70 ranger 30-06 and it so smooth you could operate it with chopsticks .And i cant find a action that smooth "nib" until i held that vanguard.I thought rebarreling on to 358 norma mag.would like to do a 8mm rem mag but i need a 375 length action .there's alot of rifles i would like but i with most likely go with a mark v 460.I emailed mpi stock about there m77 style stock for a mark v.I like rugers compact or short pistol grip i dont like the elongated grip i seen om most stocks .
oh yeah i like short forends on rifles because it makes the barrel look longer.I noticed the mark v's forend is long than i like .
basically im redisgning a 460 to be a 600 yard gun lol.so what length forend would i get just need it long enough to attach a bipod .my spelling might be off a little im typing from a laptop and it has no spell check.

Last edited:
I agree with everything L T L R said, but I just like the .460, and would like to see it work.

Sorry that I didn't get the ballistics done on the Barnes 300 grainers, but my dance card filled up too fast today.

Tom

I was trying to frind the bc's of that tipped 458 tsx .which would be badass in a 45/70 or 45/120 sharps

I just couldnt pay 1200$ for a sharps though.I held a vanguard the other day now thinking about one of those rebarreled in a 358 norma mag.or if the action was a 8mm magnum but the 8mm is based on the full length h&h case not the cut down version like the win mags or 358 mag which is the same really.but thats a idea for a nother thread i recken

Just ran exterior ballistics on the 300gr tipped bullet. The 300gr T-shok should be nearly identical. I plugged in the same constants that I used in reply # 34.

The 350gr Barnes XFB has a B/C of .402 compared to .236 on the tipped bullet and .234 on the T-shok. B/C makes a huge difference.

Retained energy on the 300gr tipped bullet is only 582 ft/lbs at 1000 yds and velocity is 855 fps. Subsonic (drops below supersonic at about 620 yds).. It retains 2000 ft/lbs at 395 yds with 1700 fps velocity and is down 24" from a 200 yd zero. Drop at 1000 yds is 560" compared to 360" for the 350gr X bullet. I'd say it's a pretty decent bullet out to about 400 - 500 Yds.

When you compare with the 350gr XFB included in reply #34, this bullet has much worse ballistics. It looks like a 350gr bullet would be the lightest practical bullet in a .460 beyond 500 yds.

I use Oehler's Ballistic Explorer and pick the numbers off the trace graphs instead of using the more exact trace reports. The reports have pre-programmed ranges and you can't hunt for a number like you can on the graphs.

Enough tech crap. I need to load up and go shoot. Tom

i ran the ballistic on the 460 300 grain tsx and well i use a rsndom bc but it was close to what you said .but i ran it again from a 460 steyr standpoint which would be 3600 fps + and retained 3000 ft lb @ 1000 yards .

why does a tipped bullet lose so much energy out to 1000 yards i mean it goes from 7000 ft lbs to a 308 @ 1000 yrds . best bc bullet i found for the .458 is the 525 grain lehigh bullet has very nice #'s out there .disregard what i said about they steyr i miss calculatoed lol .but i do think giving the right combo the 460 wby could reach out their

Run the 450g GS HV @ 2700fps, bc .391. Gets you out to 650yrds still at 1500fps. Very potent medicine.

Steve

Ouch. That kick hurts. So does the wallet. IT does hit with around 6000 ftlbs of energy at around 100 yds. at 500 yds about 2500 lbs. a 338 Lapua hits with 4412 lbs at 100 and 2932 lbs at 500 yds, (on average.). gun)

Shooting the 460 with heavies causes detached retina's. Something that is not repairable. I would only shoot this if I had a 2.5 ton rhino charging and didn't have an escape route! I have shot the the 458 Win several times with 500 grainers, no brake Model 70 and Rem 700's and they were on dares. Accurate. Cut bull at 100 yards every time (4x). Young and dumb. Now older smarter and educated on ballistics and bullet placement.
Every rifleman man needs to one of these cannons 458/460 once just for S&G.

Good luck with your endevors on the big bore. I have 3 Weatherby's and none of the over 338 cal.

I read aboput the detached retina's and something dont add up.1 is this was a big problem someone would have sued or brought it to weatherby's attention and their website would have a disclaimer .2 there alot big calibers people repeatedly shoot .See i think recoil ft lbs is just a # .Where you want to be concerned is it recoiling fps .The guy's from accurate powder never had any "retina problems" while testing firing the 600 o.k. 700 ahr. or the 577 t-rex(personal favorite).
like the 460 10 lbs rifle from the factory has 92 ft lbs of recoil with a 500 grain @ 2500 fps .Now add 5 lbs to the gun which a 15 lb gun with the same load has 61 ft lbs or recoil but only 16 recoiling fps .I think the detached retina's have more to do with the individual than the rifle,recoil, or caliber itself

I read aboput the detached retina's and something dont add up.1 is this was a big problem someone would have sued or brought it to weatherby's attention and their website would have a disclaimer .2 there alot big calibers people repeatedly shoot .See i think recoil ft lbs is just a # .Where you want to be concerned is it recoiling fps .The guy's from accurate powder never had any "retina problems" while testing firing the 600 o.k. 700 ahr. or the 577 t-rex(personal favorite).
like the 460 10 lbs rifle from the factory has 92 ft lbs of recoil with a 500 grain @ 2500 fps .Now add 5 lbs to the gun which a 15 lb gun with the same load has 61 ft lbs or recoil but only 16 recoiling fps .I think the detached retina's have more to do with the individual than the rifle,recoil, or caliber itself

The detached retina issue is a combination of excessive firings and weak retinas.

I would venture to say that few people can shoot a rifle with 90 ft/lbs of recoil and 30+
ft/sec recoil velocity very many times in a row off sand bags.

This is a place for a lead sled or as we used to do, (Place a 25 pound bag of lead shot
between the recoil pad and your shoulder to increase the overall weight of the rifle, thus
redeucing the recoil velocity for extended sessions at the range.

I shoot a lot of big bore rifles (Most have no muzzle breaks) and I still limit my self to as few
shots as nessary to break them in or get a good zero.

There are other issues that can effect felt recoil such as the stock fit and the design.

There was another issue brought up about the weapon recoiling only after the bullet leaves
the barrel. And it depends on the type,design and weight of the firearm. Example= A pistol
will recoil before the bullet exits because ,It is light weight, the grip is below the center line
of the barrel that allows the weapon to rotate upwards(The reason the front sight is higher
than the back)

On a heavy weapon recoil velocity and any movement is slowed by the mass and the bullet may exit the barrel before any movement takes place.

Thats the best I can explain it. Maybe some one else can explain it better than I can.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.