460 S&W and the Encore platform. . .

STEEL SLINGER

I'm looking to build a big bore hunting handgun and I also want to be able to shoot it a fair amount for fun without killing my hands and wrists. I want to use the same loads that I hunt with to also plink/target shoot, so a reduced load is not an option and I refuse to own anything with a muzzle break! The 460 S&W is the cartridge I'm looking to build and I want to use 300 to 335 grain loads from a 14" barreled Encore. How does the recoil compare to a 45/70? Years ago a friend had a Contender in 45/70 shooting 300gr. Nosler Partitions and after about 10 to 15 shots it wasn't much fun to shoot for the rest of the day. I'm not new to handguns or big bore pistols and by no means recoil shy or timid, but I haven't had the opportunity to shoot the 460 and from what I've read the consensus seems to be 50/50 or on the fence of this to be a pleasurable/tolerable cartridge to shoot. I own/owned many .44 mags, 45LC, 445SM, 45WM in various revolvers and currently shoot a 30/30AI barrel on my Encore. . .I'm just wanting to step up to the big bore gang in a hunting spicific handgun! ! ! I know this sounds like I want my cake and be able to eat it too. Just looking for more solid experiences from people using the Encore platform and 460 S&W. Thank you.

I'm looking to build a big bore hunting handgun and I also want to be able to shoot it a fair amount for fun without killing my hands and wrists. I want to use the same loads that I hunt with to also plink/target shoot, so a reduced load is not an option and I refuse to own anything with a muzzle break! The 460 S&W is the cartridge I'm looking to build and I want to use 300 to 335 grain loads from a 14" barreled Encore. How does the recoil compare to a 45/70? Years ago a friend had a Contender in 45/70 shooting 300gr. Nosler Partitions and after about 10 to 15 shots it wasn't much fun to shoot for the rest of the day. I'm not new to handguns or big bore pistols and by no means recoil shy or timid, but I haven't had the opportunity to shoot the 460 and from what I've read the consensus seems to be 50/50 or on the fence of this to be a pleasurable/tolerable cartridge to shoot. I own/owned many .44 mags, 45LC, 445SM, 45WM in various revolvers and currently shoot a 30/30AI barrel on my Encore. . .I'm just wanting to step up to the big bore gang in a hunting spicific handgun! ! ! I know this sounds like I want my cake and be able to eat it too. Just looking for more solid experiences from people using the Encore platform and 460 S&W. Thank you.

To many years ago to think about, I decided to build a Big bore pistol for the 444 Marlin using a TC Contender. It weighed under 4 pounds, and was brutal with the 265 grain bullets going 2400 ft/sec.

Most people would not shoot it and some only shot it once. It did however replace "All other pistols in my arsenal" for hunting deer and hogs. I had tried all of the big bore and most powerful pistol cartridges and was never completely satisfied with the end results.

The 444 was/is a brute and has no problems with any game I ever shot dropping them in there tracks. However, I would recommend a brake for the very powerful handguns because of the control and reduction in recoil.

I have a 460 S&W revolver and really like it. It came with two muzzle brakes (One for lead bullets, and one for jacketed bullets) They do control muzzle rise to a point. (The 444 contender doesn't have a brake
And rises violently to about 12;00 o'clock) but with it being a single shot there is time to regain control and re load).

If I were to build a 460 S&W on an encore it would have a brake installed for the reasons I described. The nice thing about the 460 is it's ability to shoot 454 and even the 45 long colt ammo. (I believe in using the 460 ammo in it but it does give you some options).

Muzzle brakes don't work as well on big pistols because of the ratio of bullet weight to powder charge, but they do help control the pistol and reduce the recoil by 20 to 40 %.

The 460 S&W is in a league by it's self as far as I am concerned and combined with the right combination of hand gun/rifle it is awesome.
The revolver uses a gain twist barrel (25 to 12, I Think)to start the heavy bullets without jacket shear and this must be taken into account on a fixed twist rate barrel.

Have fun

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
JE,
Thanks for your reply. I got the chance to shoot the 460 S&W in a 15" T/C barrel with 335gr. hardcast loads. . .didn't care for it too much. I'm now thinking of either a 454 Casull or the 445 Supermag, more so leaning towards the 445 SM. On a performance level only, from lets say identical guns with 300 gr bullets, what are the differences? From what I have researched there is about a 200 FPS difference. I'm having a 14" barrel made and plan on keeping shots to a max of 150 yards.

PROS/CONS;
From a reloading standpoint the 454 is cheaper and components more readily available over the 445SM.

Reloading for the 454 seems to be more finicky due to powder case volume and small rifle primers used. . .???

Brass - I have read in my research that the 454 brass should only be shot twice under full power loads. . .is this true?

More hunting style bullets I feel are produced for .44 caliber over .45 caliber, at least for the velocities these two rounds can produce.

Decisions decisions. . .I plan on ordering a new barrel in one of these two calibers from MGM in the very near future, I just want to be sure that I will be satisfied with the caliber I choose because it is all going to cost a bit of coin to get it slinging lead and killing critters. Give me some input gang!

Hope everyone has a Happy Thanksgiving! Be safe.

I'll vote for the 454. i have an encore barrel in 454 that is 15" with a short permanent extension that brings it over 16" I like to use it with my pistol grip for heavy practice but I also use the butt stock on it. This allows me to be a bit more confident as to the barrels accuracy be for using it to pistol hunt. I'll run anywhere from 250gr barnes up to 335gr Hardcast and they are all manageable. That extra barrel length over a traditional 7in 454 really gets the 454 cooking. I also shoot my 454 in a ruger super Redhawk toklat revolver and those 335gr have some sting but are not past the comfort zone. If you're getting one from mgm, I'd highly recommend having them thread and install a decent radial brake for practice that can be removed for hunting.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts