45 ACP on Brown Bear.????

One of the fellas I used to black bear hunt with wore a 1911 .45 acp and I think it was good backup.

When I lived in Alaska, I saw just about every caliber carried for backup.

A good many years ago in Alaska, an Indian lady killed the record griz with a .22 rifle. The bear was after her and some family.
Are speaking of Bella Twin? Cheers

On this day 1953, Bella Twin killed the largest grizzly on record with a duct-taped single shot .22
1684633097819.png

I knew a sweet elderly lady that has long since passed on who was blind in one eye spotted this huge 10pt whitetail buck standing in their field. Keep in mind her husband was a big hunter. She went into their log home with the old dog trot in the middle and retrieved a single shot 22 rifle loaded with a 22 short cartridge walked outside and placed that bullet in the eye of that old buck. That was subsistence hunting mind you and her husband never took a deer to match hers!

To answer the OP, yes as I recall there was a gentleman that used a 1911 and successfully took down a grizzly with it. It happened not long after carrying in National Parks was allowed. Don't know what ammo was used, but he did empty his pistol on the bear. Saved himself and his wife from being mauled. This was quite a few years ago.

Quite a difference between shooting a Grizzly exactly where your aiming while at rest vs a charging one wherever you can put the bullet. Not to take away from the .22 story but we've all heard old timer stories of big game animals killed with rimfire .22s thru out the years. During a charge from any bear, I think I'd feel under gunned regardless what weapon I had.

Quite a difference between shooting a Grizzly exactly where your aiming while at rest vs a charging one wherever you can put the bullet. Not to take away from the .22 story but we've all heard old timer stories of big game animals killed with rimfire .22s thru out the years. During a charge from any bear, I think I'd feel under gunned regardless what weapon I had.
I think I'd feel under gunned regardless what weapon I had. 100% agree for sure.

watched recent videos on charging bear..... he used a 10mm....
wondered if anyone uses or has had or experience with a 45 acp for self protection...???
Love a good "handgun for brown bears" thread! My stock advice: save the last bullet for yourself.

Invest in some bear spray. I fished with a guide who carried bear spray and told me it worked well (he also carried a 12 ga Mossberg auto with slugs ;))

watched recent videos on charging bear..... he used a 10mm....
wondered if anyone uses or has had or experience with a 45 acp for self protection...???
Well last year I went on a moose hunt in Alaska and carried a 10mm with me. My guide asked what was that for? I said in case a Brown bear. Guide said the only thing that's good for is to put that to your head right before he EATS YOU!! 🤣
True story!

Well last year I went on a moose hunt in Alaska and carried a 10mm with me. My guide asked what was that for? I said in case a Brown bear. Guide said the only thing that's good for is to put that to your head right before he EATS YOU!! 🤣
True story!
I believe it. Not much will stop a bear set on eating you. Especially if it's right on top of you before any reaction to defend.