.44mag for Hogs

For smaller hogs, say 200 and under, most any 44 cal bullet will suffice, but due to the occasional larger Southern hog/boar, I tend to stay in the 220-240 range with JSP and 240-250 in JHP, and years ago for lead bullets, I settled on a 245gr Keith gas checked and a 255gr SWC plain base. Both are heat treated and cast from wheel weights and dropped hot from the mold into a bucket of water. I have never recovered one from any animal shot with those from my Blackhawks, Redhawks, Contenders nor the 1894.

For smaller hogs, say 200 and under, most any 44 cal bullet will suffice, but due to the occasional larger Southern hog/boar, I tend to stay in the 220-240 range with JSP and 240-250 in JHP, and years ago for lead bullets, I settled on a 245gr Keith gas checked and a 255gr SWC plain base. Both are heat treated and cast from wheel weights and dropped hot from the mold into a bucket of water. I have never recovered one from any animal shot with those from my Blackhawks, Redhawks, Contenders nor the 1894.
Good sitrep... Cheers

I love those old silhouette sights I had a couple of S&W's with them on in both K&N frame revolvers. Fast and deadly when set up properly.
This is on my Classic Hunter 29 is a 4 setting adjustable. I have it set for 25, 50, 75 and 100 yds for my 240gr Hard Cast load. When it first came out in '80, they had a naming contest - Classic Hunter won. I got mine in '88.

Attachments

• gun fight friday 007.jpg
    gun fight friday 007.jpg
    828.2 KB · Views: 87
I have shot hogs and deer with the Hornady 240 xtp load and it has always worked for me.If they are available you could try Garrett cartridges or Buffalo bore ammo but that level of power is not need except on the biggest of hogs.Good luck

I too am a student of the S&W Model 29 and have been since the late '60s my first thought is Elmer Keith loads starting with a load of 18.5 gr of 2400 under a 250gr "Keith" bullet, max is 22.5grs for around 1400 fps that's a little hot for the N frame. I might look up some of John Taffens loads out of Bosie ID he has some great articles and loads on the .44 Mag from revolvers in Guns Magazine, I've met John a few times on the range nice guy seems to really know his stuff. In any case, I'd go with the Keith 250gr SWC or perhaps the Keith 255gr SWC you might look at Montana Bullet Works... https://www.montanabulletworks.com/product-category/pistol/

I've hunted a lot of Deer with the .44 Mag love it. My go-to is the M29 & my Winchester M94 (1970's)... for a stand I like (center) the Ruger 77/44 with a Leupold M8 6X, the top one is a 77/357 and the bottom a 77/22
I use 240gr SP jacketed bullets for the rifles.

I had a good friend who was always asking me to come down to Texas for hogs, never did, he has since passed, a good man... I should have done it.
Good luck, Cheers!

View attachment 341361View attachment 341362View attachment 341371View attachment 341372
Real nice
Winchester 94 Lever with "Wiliams Peep Sight"
S&W Model 29 "Pined Barrel/Recessed Cylinder/Target Triger & Sights" Most sought out S&W 44.
Like the AR with NV/Suppressed on the truck tailgate.
Thanks for sharing
Len & Jill

Yep, .44 cal needs a little love from the rifle bullet gods... I'd love to see a 240gr Partition for the older, late (,1960s) Marlin 444's lever, as well as 300gr for everything else in .44 cal. Your pick for a 400gr Nosler Partition for the .45 cal would also be a nice addition.

View attachment 341398View attachment 341399
GREAT looking Marlin!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is on my Classic Hunter 29 is a 4 setting adjustable. I have it set for 25, 50, 75 and 100 yds for my 240gr Hard Cast load. When it first came out in '80, they had a naming contest - Classic Hunter won. I got mine in '88.
I fell for the "Classic Hunter " as well. I have the 629 with the unfluted cylinder. Carried it whitetail hunting for deer under 50 yards. Had the rifle for long shots. It added a challenge. Sweet memories!

Real nice
Winchester 94 Lever with "Wiliams Peep Sight"
S&W Model 29 "Pined Barrel/Recessed Cylinder/Target Triger & Sights" Most sought out S&W 44.
Like the AR with NV/Suppressed on the truck tailgate.
Thanks for sharing
Len & Jill
Yeah, I sure love "old school" and I see you have an eye for the same... Cheers ;) 👍

I have shot a 6" 29 since back in the early 70's. My favorite all time load is 10gr. unique behind the Keith design single grease groove cast bullet. Straight wheelweights, don't do anything to them. I think that is a 250gr. bullet? That was the most accurate load I ever found, very mild recoil, but I never shot anything that complained that it wasn't hot enough! I've killed MANY hogs and other creatures with it. When my eyes were still good I head shot a cottontail at 53 paces with open sights. That was many years ago, but I carried that thing everywhere I went, and killed anything I wanted to shoot. I shot a lot, and there is no substitute for practice. You need a pretty good crimp to keep the bullet from pulling.

Lee makes a 310gr mold pretty cheap. I have 2 of em. Plain wheel weights with a gas check and powder coated work great. Load em up as hot as you dare in that smith. My load wont help, I shoot them at a bit over 1500fps from my Redhawk using 2400. they are spectacular on deer. I'd bet they'd happily run through most any hog lengthwise, and wouldn't even hesitate to take a mid shoulder shot on a big boar.

If you expect to see a boar and want to get through that hard shoulder, I wouldn't try any jhp's or you'll have to wait on the 1/4 away shot