416 Rigby light/fast bullet?

kazoo

I have a 416 Rigby and want to expand my enjoyment, research, and development. I'd like to develop a lighter plinking load for extensive practice so I can become one with the gun. As I was thinking, why can't I develop a light zippy load for deer? Not much availability below 300 grains? Are there some custom bullet makers that make a .416 around 250 grain? Paper patch a .41 cal handgun bullet? I'd like to get it up to 3000 or perhaps higher for some long range hunting of deer or antelope. I know the b.c. wouldn't be the best but I anticipate a long winter with time to putz. Feasible or does someone need to slap me ?

My practice load is 100 or 105 grains of H4831 with the Speer 350 grain bullet. Don't know of any more. 400's kick too much.

Kazoo,
When I return stateside again in March I will start making .416 hollowpoints (on par with a speer TNT) between 300-375grs (possibly lighter). When I purchased my 416 weatherby I knew I would never use it for what it was designed to do. Of course in Oregon we have several big nutrias, rockchucks and coyotes that demand a lot of killing power:) I wanted a .416 Varmint bullet for these critters that would explode on impact. They might be what you are looking for. If you are looking for a 300gr deer bullet I may be able to bond and close up the nose a bit to make it far less explosive but if you hit bone I think your deer will be shot, skinned, gutted and deboned before it hits the ground. Again through until I am able to test them out I can not give you a definite answer. Barnes makes the X bullet in 300grs should be a awesome bullet for deer and antelope but there on the expensive side for plinking.

I used to back up my elk huntes with 325 Gr. x bullets with a bunch of 4831 behind them as I recall. The load worked very well out to as far as I could put them where they needed to be. Even on texas heart shots which is mostly what I got to take. I highly rcomend them. I recall one bull crippled that took one of these in the hip pocket at about 300 yds. Instant nose dive and lights out on him. Good luck with the rigby loads

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.