408 Cheytac Video

Regarding 408 CheyTac Video(Len's)

Part one, no comment except that streaming was a bit slow.

Part two, Things went to hell in a hand basket here.

I supposed I was watching two "professional" sniper types here, right?

Thinking that 2530 yards is like 1000 yards to some of us, I would have expected that with all of that electronic capability the dialog would have been more "professional" and precise than hold a little higher, hold a little lower, see you went right over the plate like this (using the handheld as a reference). That sounded like me talkin' maybe a year ago. But you gotta consider the spotter was from Idaho also.:D

Finally the History Channel dude says "now I have my range" and fires a couple more for affect.

I also noted, possibly incorrectly, that even with the wind all shooting errors were in the vertical except for maybe 1 shot to the right on the 2530 plate.

Any of the sighters would have ruined a real hunt. The only shot that would have brought home the trophy was most probably only one of the shots that hit the plate The other two most probably would have resulted either a long tracking effort or a lost animal. But the rig seems to have been developed to hit a personnel carrier at that distance, not an animal.

I often watch that show and (although the host was a former sniper) he often makes inaccurate claims and even gives flat out false information. He's also over dramatic. I keep watching the show, so I guess they're doing something right.

I have a buddy who's a sniper and we went out shooting eggs together at 500yds. His ammo was not sufficiently accurate and even after we both used my ammo and both shot each other's rifles, he was having a hard time. His knowlege and skills were less than I was expecting (he was excellent at range guestimation and ranging with his scope). When all was said and done, his comments were "the eggs aren't shooting back." True enough.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.