338-408 barrel

screech

Hey guy's what length barrel would you get for the 338-408 barrel. It dont matter what it weighs. Its going to be used for extreme range chucking and moderate range hunting off a table. What length barrel will i get the most speed. Thanks

My advice, do not overdo it in barrel length. My little 60 lb Black Sunshine has a 1.75" straight cylinder 40" Lilja barrel. Come to find out this barrel length is not needed to get the most out of this round.

That said, a 40" pipe will get you more velocity then any shorter length, the question is if that amount of added velocity is worth the added rifle length. In a dedicated long range rifle, why not??

In a hunting rifle or a rifle in the 30-35 lb range I would limit barrel length to around 34" to 36".

In a portable big game rifle in the 15 to 20 lb range, 32 to 33" of barrel length will serve well.

For what you are building, it sounds like a 34 to 36" barrel would be just about right.

Kirby Allen(50)

It pretty much is going to be dedicated to extreme range. when I say it will be shot for hunting off a bench i mean like If I was sitting from my house and saw an elk on the other side of the canyon. sit down at my bench I use for zeroing my rifle and send one his way. as for length, as long as it can fit in the cab of a truck thats all I really care about. I was planning on building something along the lines as black sunshine. I was just wondering what would get me the most feasonable velocity. no 8ft. pipes

screech

Anything past 36" is just waisted space, I have tested 35" down to 32", there was no real change in velocity between the two. One other test i have done is with twist rates, 9.4" 10" and 11.25" The 9.4 twist does build up more pressure, the 11.25 has the least amount of pressure, all loads being the same. Barney Lawton says they are using the 11.5" twist in the 338-408 rifles. This twist is great for the 300MK but not Richards 350gr bullets, at least my 11.25" will not stabilize them. 300MK will cut a ragged hole at 100yds, 1000yds 6-8" but thats me shootin (i'm not good at the fer piece shuutin)

Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.