40 minute scope base?

wildcat westerner

Have a 20 minute scope base atop a Stolle tactical action and the scope base that will be arriving with the 34mm scope is also a 20 minute base which can be attached to the existing base. This rifle will be a 338 Win mag and am I right in thinking the combined 40 minute angle of the base will be positive for very long range shooting? I know there is supposed to be a long range match at Whittington that reaches 2,200 yards and assume that this cartridge and the combined bases and 34 mm scope will allow all the trajectory adjustment I will be needing for such long range shooting. Is my thinking correct in my assumption?

WW

What scope are you running? most people shooting ELR will run a base, or combination to equal half of the total internal elevation of the scope, that way you can still zero at 100 yards and use the max internal adjustment of your scope.

I have purchased the Arken 5-25x56 34mm scope with the first focal plane and finite reticle with illumination. Initially I am finding the scopes' adjustments to be exact and tactile. If this doesn't work I can use another of my NightForces'. Seems this is a great scope, period. I have used a Schmidt and Bender and it's an excellent scope, but this one is 7 times cheaper!

WW

You're scope will be fine on a 40moa rail. If you wanted to completely max it you'd need to get in 50-55 range of cant.
Looking at them and limited shooting of one the Arken Optics are decent. I haven't owned one but I have owned other cheap branded scopes that weren't up to the task of a heavier recoiling rifle. Only time will tell I guess.

Since this will be a 338 Win mag, we shall see whether it will stand the gaff or not. Mitigating factors: rifle- the barrel itself is a Pence made 1 1/2" full cylinder bull barrel 33 inches long without the Harrell brake and has been fluted by Skip Otto and still weighs 13 pounds. The stock has been lengthened, widened and depth added, with solid fibreglass so the weapon will be quite heavy. I am assuming that when complete this weapon meant for prone shooting should be quite tolerable, even with the heavier 338 bullets available. I assumed the 40mm base would be okay, but simply had no real facts to go by. I wanted to eliminate any other possible problems we shall face when starting to testfire this rig.

WW

No the chamber is not cut. My experience with 338's is this. On a condensed weekend at Whittington I met an entire group of rifle "nuts" who had every 338 caliber weapon you could imagine and I got to shoot nearly all of them, from the 338W mag through the 338 Lapua Improved. These were nice guys and when I got done testing them all I noted I could shoot the 338 Win mag more accurately, all things being equal. I can also tell you the 338 Lapua Improved, after taking it down from the bench and firing it in the prone position; had a radial muzzle brake. The resulting dust storm from my first shot caused the shooters on either side of me to get up and walk away!
I have acquired 338 Win mag components for very little: $797.00 worth of dies and bullets for three hundred. A man picked through 700+ cases to give me the best , most uniform, 50, and another friend donated 25 pounds of H570 to me. I can live with a little bit more rainbow trajectory from this case, if I know the exact yardage and, according to Quickload, with this long barrel I can come withing 120 fps of a 338 Lapua using 225 grain bullets with nearly a 20 per cent reduction in powder usage, per shot. When the weapon is complete then we shall find out just how accurate Quick Loads' formulation for this long barrelled weapon really is. The chronograph readings may prove very interesting.

WW

It likely had the least recoil of them all being the slowest. More arc/ slower is consequently more influenced by wind. You will get more insensitive to recoil as you practice.

Radial brakes are junk, large cartridges and brakes will ward off lots of people at the range.

Do as you please but if you are serious about competing you are giving yourself a disadvantage right off the bat. Doesn't mean you cant be competitive just means your skills at wind reading and shooting need to be better than the guy shooting a more suitable cartridge.

No the chamber is not cut. My experience with 338's is this. On a condensed weekend at Whittington I met an entire group of rifle "nuts" who had every 338 caliber weapon you could imagine and I got to shoot nearly all of them, from the 338W mag through the 338 Lapua Improved. These were nice guys and when I got done testing them all I noted I could shoot the 338 Win mag more accurately, all things being equal. I can also tell you the 338 Lapua Improved, after taking it down from the bench and firing it in the prone position; had a radial muzzle brake. The resulting dust storm from my first shot caused the shooters on either side of me to get up and walk away!
I have acquired 338 Win mag components for very little: $797.00 worth of dies and bullets for three hundred. A man picked through 700+ cases to give me the best , most uniform, 50, and another friend donated 25 pounds of H570 to me. I can live with a little bit more rainbow trajectory from this case, if I know the exact yardage and, according to Quickload, with this long barrel I can come withing 120 fps of a 338 Lapua using 225 grain bullets with nearly a 20 per cent reduction in powder usage, per shot. When the weapon is complete then we shall find out just how accurate Quick Loads' formulation for this long barrelled weapon really is. The chronograph readings may prove very interesting.

WW
Very interesting, and that has got to be the best friend ever to donate 25 lbs of N570. Keep us posted. Thanks 😎