Scope base for ELR... How many moa do YOU use?

I've had a problem with my Burris Signature Zee rings slipping due to recoil, on one scope but not another... on a 30-06. I ended up putting blue Loctite on the inserts when mounting.
So far so good after just a few shots.

Good to know. Thanks. Seems really hit and miss, some people have no issues with them, and then others have them slip. Guess we'll see what happens. I've also heard a drop of RTV in each ring works (in normal rings, don't see why it wouldn't work in the inserts too), but haven't tried it.

Another thing about using Burris Signature Zee rings. When using the ring inserts to increase MOA with either a 1" or 30mm scope, just because you drop in the 0.010 ring inserts properly doesn't necessarily mean you're going to get a 20 MOA increase. MOA will be increased or decreased depending upon the spacing of your rings on your base. The further apart your rings are, the less MOA you will gain. The closer your rings are, your MOA will increase.

I've attached something I wrote up for LRH awhile back that you might find useful. I found it worked spot on for me with my 30mm Burris Signature Rings.

Hope it helps.

DocB

Attachments

• Scopes - Burris Signature Zee Rings - Determining Actual MOA When Using Burris Signature Zee Rin.pdf
    371.7 KB · Views: 35
I run a 40 MOA base + 10 MOA in Burris rings on my 7mm RUM. This puts it at a 675 yard zero. I can dial out past 2300 yards easily with the Mk 4 that's on there.

I've never had a problem with the signature rings on even the bigger calibers. I run them on the 7 RUM, 338 Edge, my 375 BME, and on a few handguns. The trick is to de-grease the scope and rings before assembling them.

I run a 40 MOA base + 10 MOA in Burris rings on my 7mm RUM. This puts it at a 675 yard zero. I can dial out past 2300 yards easily with the Mk 4 that's on there.

I've never had a problem with the signature rings on even the bigger calibers. I run them on the 7 RUM, 338 Edge, my 375 BME, and on a few handguns. The trick is to de-grease the scope and rings before assembling them.

What scope are you running? How much total elevation adjustment is in it?

What scope are you running? How much total elevation adjustment is in it?

I just verified my info and I was slightly off. With the 200gr Wildcat ULD at 3045 fps I'm zeroed at 700 yards (11.1" high at 100 yards) and under standard conditions at my shooting spot I can shoot to 2500 yards which takes 25.1 MIL of adjustment.

The scope is a Mk 4 ER/T 8.5-25x50 M5 with the TMR reticle. It has 25 MIL (85 MOA) of adjustment. If I moved my NF 5.5-22x56 on there I'd have more adjustment, but I personally like the Mk4 better.

I'm using a 12X SWFA on a 45 MOA Badger Ordnance rail.

The scope has 43.0 mils total elevation travel.

With a 100 yard zero, I have 33.5 mils 'up' available in the erector, and 10 mils on the reticle. In theory, enough to dial dead on hold to past 2000 yards. In reality, the 208 Amax at 2720 fps is pretty much out of gas at a mile. Nice to be able to dial that far though, without having the erector topped out.

All of that is very good info. That's a LOT of elevation. They claim at least 30mils total. My 16x42 SS only has about 32 total. Thinking about putting a 20x on the Edge depending on their Black Friday sale, or I may just move the 16x over for now. Either way though, 43 is a LOT. Wonder if they'll hand pick me one with the most elevation... Lol

With a 100 yard zero, I have 33.5 mils 'up' available in the erector, and 10 mils on the reticle. In theory, enough to dial dead on hold to past 2000 yards. In reality, the 208 Amax at 2720 fps is pretty much out of gas at a mile. Nice to be able to dial that far though, without having the erector topped out.

I bought two of the 12X SWFA's from the sample list. They were as new.

I put the other on a 308, again with a Badger 45 MOA rail.

Both of the 12X's have 43.0 Mils in the erector, and they both have 33 mils after zeroing, so things seem fairly consistent from a limited sample of two.

I also have an older SWFA 16X mildot reticle/MOA turrets. It has 108 MOA in the erector. I don't have any firsthand knowledge of the newer 16X or 20X MRAD models.

Nice Rig Marine! OOORAH!

How did you take that reticle pic? (Not 'really' off topic is it? :)) My bad!:rolleyes:

DocB

Both of the 12X's have 43.0 Mils in the erector, and they both have 33 mils after zeroing, so things seem fairly consistent from a limited sample of two.

I also have an older SWFA 16X mildot reticle/MOA turrets. It has 108 MOA in the erector. I don't have any firsthand knowledge of the newer 16X or 20X MRAD models.

That 108 is basically equivalent to my 32 mils, so the two 16x are almost identical. Interesting. Think I'm gonna make a phone call to SWFA with this info and see what they say about the 20x. If I could get 43mils in either the 16 or the 20, that's definitely what I'd do. I decided it was either go big or go home, and went with a 60moa Ken Farrel base. :cool:

....How did you take that reticle pic?....DocB

I just put the camera in 'macro' mode, and hand held it behind the scope. Had to shift it around a little to get a fair view.

I was looking through a double-pane window at an oblique angle, so the distant image is not representative of the actual clarity.

Actually makes me consider trying a 12x to be honest. That's a LOT of adjustment. Dangit. Not sure a 12x will be powerful enough to be trying out to 2-3k yds though... lol

You might be surprised at the 12X. The furthest I've tried to shoot it is about 2000 yards. I was unable to see any splash from the 30-06 load (just too far), but no trouble seeing and bisecting a target that was no more than .5 moa in size with the 12X magnification, and fine reticle.

I went from a Leupold MK4 16X, to the SWFA 12X. I prefer the 12X. The eye-relief is much easier to work with, and the larger FOV is very easy to like. Brightness and resolution seem better too with the lower power and slightly bigger objective lens (40 vs 42mm). I don't feel like the reduction in magnification was a loss at all.

You might be surprised at the 12X. The furthest I've tried to shoot it is about 2000 yards. I was unable to see any splash from the 30-06 load (just too far), but no trouble seeing and bisecting a target that was no more than .5 moa in size with the 12X magnification, and fine reticle.

I went from a Leupold MK4 16X, to the SWFA 12X. I prefer the 12X. The eye-relief is much easier to work with, and the larger FOV is very easy to like. Brightness and resolution seem better too with the lower power and slightly bigger objective lens (40 vs 42mm). I don't feel like the reduction in magnification was a loss at all.

Hrmmm... Good to know. Yeah, I was trying to figure up how big a 24x24 target would be last night in mils and if the reticle would cover it. The reticle on the SS is super thin. It gets thinner with higher magnification too. 12, 16, 20x is .040, .035, & .030 mils, respectively.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.