388-378 weatherby

Gabe V

Doe's any one know of a other gun company that makes this caliber rifle other than weatherby or should I try 338 lapu.The rifle will be used the hunt deer from 200-600 yards shooting over open fields in michigan.Thanks GABE

Thor,

I don't know if anyone else chambers for 338-378, but don't let the wby naysayers stop you from getting one if that is what you really want. If you get one and it is not as accurate as you want, send it to one of the smiths on this site. Nine lugs on the bolt seem to be the main thing everyone has issue with and yes they can a problem but they can generally be made to work together just fine.

My 338-378 was converted into a 338 Kahn (a wildcat that mainly just gets rid of the compound radiuses on the shoulder) It shot quite well as a factory rifle, nothing spectacular but good enough for 500 or so. I also have a wby .416 that shoots very well.

The 338-378 is hard to beat for raw power in a .338 cal. The .338 Lapua is the next best thing in a factory cartridge. The .338 EDGE is pretty hot but is a wildcat that would require a custom rifle and fireforming your brass.

I am currently having a .338 Lapua built by Kirby Allen (fiftydriver) The Lapua is a very accurate cartridge, you can buy excellent brass, and it is a pretty close second to the 338-378.

Last, on your post about scopes you asked about swarovski scopes. I have two that I would be willing to part with a 6x24 and 4x16 with tds reticals. They are great scopes and I have no complaints about them. I will admit however that I am replacing them with Nightforce scopes. The primary reason is the target turrets on the NF. I got my first NF a few months ago and started dialing up my elevation rather using multi line reticals.......I'll never go back. My reccomendation for scopes, Nightforce. But the swaros are quality optics as well. If you are interested drop me private e-mail and we will talk $$

Well according to weatherby and there fatory ammunition with 200gr Bst 3350 fps and the energy is 4983,and with 225gr barns-x 3180 fps and the energy is 5052,and with a 250 partition 3060 fps the energy is 5197. and thats with a 26inch barrel according to weatherby.Gabe

My 338-378 is now a Kahn, but I still have all my loading notes. I never shot anything heavier than 210gr through it. I was getting from 3400 to 3500 with 200 and 210 grn bullets, swift scirrocos, barnes X, nosler BTs and nosler ct/bts. Most of my loads used RL25 and RL22. I had a 28" pipe so that helped my vel. a little as well.

I'm getting about 3150 with the Kahn and 250grn SMKs.

338-378 for deer? A 257 Wby is what you're looking for....... A 220 Swift would do it but the 257 Wby will give you a bigger margin for off angles. That 338-378 about ought to totally gut, skin and grind the rest to burger in one shot and then take out two more on the pass through. Cool! If looking for a factory rig the Accumark is tough to beat. They flat out shoot and they are lacking for nothing out of the box. I just wish they offered them with optional longer and heavier barrels. I would like all mine in 30" with a muzzle diameter of .800".

I've got a Weatherby Accumark in 338/378 and share your lament about barrel length and thickness. I'm still waiting for scope rings for it and have yet to shoot it, but wish they'd put a longer thicker barrel on this rifle.

What rings are you looking for? I have a set of 30 mm Talley rings with bases I'm not going to use.

I hear ya on the barrel. Being the son of a gun that I am I kind of wish my maker had given me a longer thicker tube too. Seriously, the factory could never go wrong by putting on too much barrel. You can always cut them down but it is impossible to put more on.

I've got a set of Leupold Mark IV high rings on order. I expect them to arrive within the next week.

I've got a Near Manufacturing 10 MOA forward cant base blue locktited to the receiver. <font color="blue"> </font>

Gabe it good to see your here and not out fishing. I still think a 338 lapua on a rem action hart barrel M40A4 stock bader rings and base with a Lepolod scope is the was to go. Ask Doc king what he thinks for you about starting out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

LeMay OUT

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.