30-378 Weatherby Loads?

Sorry about the rant yesterday regarding Barnes bullets, most of the time on this forum when you mention Barnes people post how crappy they because they don't expand and have low BC's. I shoot them in almost every rifle I own out to 600 yards, which is long range for most of us, and have shot a lot of 2 inch groups at 600 yards.

E, you're on the right track. The Berger 215 Hybrid or the 230 OTM with H1000 or Retumbo, Federal 215M primer and WBY brass with the 230 taking full advantage of the 30/378 large powder capacity. My 30/378 shot best with Retumbo, but a friend's was more accurate with H1000. Usually no two rifles will realize maximum accuracy with the same load. Start low and work up with powder charge and play with seating depth after a powder is found to be most accurate. With the freebore Weatherby has your bullet will nearly fall out of the case before touching the lands. Try just under magazine length to start, or the Berger suggested COAL. My best load was a bit under max with great accuracy and the elk don't notice a little less velocity. Good luck

I use 180gr grand slam for 30378 108grs of n217 new or neck sized brass in my accumark and it shoots out bullets holes with the Fed gold metal match primer also have same with 160gr ballistic tip factory ammo

A grizzly cannot tell the difference between a .30-.378 and a RUM. You need an accurately placed shot with a tough bullet. I used to use Nosler Part. but have switched to Barnes-X. The most important thing is shot placement with a high shouler througt the spinal cord being the best if you can get it. Heart, lung will work but don't expect the animal to always go down immediately. Try to get a reasonably close, well placed shot. Use the rifle that allows you to do this.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.