378-338 Weatherby Mag vs 338 Lupua

Iron Worker

I have the opportunity to purchase a Mark V Accumark in 378-338 Mag used. Claims 20 rounds down the tube. Comes with dies and some brass plus a Leupold VX 111 3.5-10x40mm for a $1,000 bucks . Any reason I shouldn't consider this a great deal ? For long range shooting is the 338 Lupua a better cartridge ?

Well I would not pass that deal up that's for sure. Especially if it's a mark v action which I assume it is with that cartridge.
Is it better than the lapua? It can be it will push the larger bullets faster than the lapua so all things equal it will be better.
Lapua has some advantages like great brass. I'm a fan of the Weatherby's so I like that round.
As a matter of fact that was what I was gonna buy over the lapua at first. But I went with a lapua improved because my brother had the same chamber so we used one barrel to fire form.

I have had both cartridges. If they are in the same gun with the same barrel theyre probably isn't much difference. The biggest difference is the belted case on the Wetherby and I think you may have a problem getting the proper seating depth on your reloads and still getting them to fit in the magazine. The Weatherbys that I have had have a whole lot of freebore. Other than that the AccuMark is a good gun And that's a stellar deal.

The magazine on an Accumark will allow you to get to a COAL of 3.6 or longer. I can't remember off the top of my head. I know I haven't had an issue with seating length or compaction even with 108+ grains of powder.

The AccuBrake is respectable. I haven't tried any other brakes so can't compare for reference.

Given the price, you could get it and decide you want a Lapua or Norma just get a new barrel and still be all in at a decent price. The bolt face will handle the bigger rounds.

The factory brakes work ok. Theyre not an amazing break but that was given up by the design of the weatherby brake.

I believe that's a deal for sure. A little light on the scope, but that's a preference.

I guess you'd have to look at brass availability. Cost ranging from 2.50$ for the Lapua to up to 3.50$ for the WBY. If you don't reload, id look for another caliber. Factory loading either of the two will be costly. I've never shot a 338-378, but can imagine it would pack a punch in that configuration.

I had a Lapua built and I love it. Every time I shoot it, I smile. Accurate, great ballistics, and easy to load for.

Well rifle is mine now,can't believe the deal I got. 5 Boxes of WBY brass 2 boxes were once fired,2 boxes were new primed boxes and 1 box of loaded ammo( his handloads) 1 1/2 lbs of Retumbo powder and RCBS dies . I'm going to change out the scope right away. Is there any unique value for a Leupold Boon&Crockett 1" 3.5-10x40mm scope ?

Attachments

• IMG_0062 (1).jpg
    IMG_0062 (1).jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 293
Great pick up IronWorker.
I'd buy that scope in a heartbeat.
That's what I have on my 'normal' range deer rifles in 264/300/338 and they have very good glass in them.

I have a 338/416 Rigby Improved with 45 degree shoulder, has a bit more capacity than a 338-378, I did look at them, but decided my version of the 338-416 would somehow be the 'best'...........until I found Allen Express cartridges. Lol.

Anyway, 338's at those velocities are spectacular when they hit their quarry.

Cheers.

Had a Wby 338-378 and it was a beast! It dropped any animal I hit solid in it's tracks. I currently shoot the 338 Lapua and it's not nearly at fast as the WBY. Good buy! I still might have brass and dies for it. For a while, it was king of the 338's.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.