375??

darrindlh

So I have a wild hair to see what I can produce. I want to build a 375 ruger with a 27in-28in barrel. I am looking to shoot the cutting edge 300 grn bullet with a .750 bc. What kind of velocity can i expect

Darrin

375 RUM 2750
375 CheyTac 3050

According to QL but you leave to many variables.

My Edge runs 300 SMKs to 2850 all day long.
A 375 with a 28+ tube on it should be able to clip 2850 without question with most 300 gr stuff. That's a SHOULD BE don't take my word for it, just thinking out loud, usually increasing bore size with the same weight will yield a velocity increase.
Just MHO I have no experience with that bullet nor did I model the data, just an observation.

So I have a wild hair to see what I can produce. I want to build a 375 ruger with a 27in-28in barrel. I am looking to shoot the cutting edge 300 grn bullet with a .750 bc. What kind of velocity can i expect

Darrin

I am able to push the CE 300 MTH to 2800+ from a 375 H&H with a 25" barrel, using RL-17, though best accuracy is around 2780.

The Ruger has slightly more capacity than the H&H. With a powder like Norma MRP or RL-22, you should be able to push the same bullet to somewhere between 2850 and 2880 from a 28" barrel.

If you decide to do a .375 build, do yourself a favor and go with, at least, a 1/10 twist. That should allow you to use bullets like the upcoming Berger Hybrid when it is released.

Thank you for the replies. If I was able to get 2850 with a 28 in tube that would be amazing. 300 grn bullet with a .750 CB. Awesome. I wish that others would
Think outside the box on this 375 Ruger. There are no builds on it. Guys are shooting 2650 out of a 22 in barrel. I am all about shooting a rifle that most people would tell me that it can not be done. We shall see

Darrin

I believe it would be worthwhile for you to carefully consider what you want your rifle to do and work backwards from there in planning your build.

I don't believe you will gain much from a 28" barrel with the 375 Ruger. The case capacity just isn't there to take advantage of the barrel length.

It would also be well for you to consider that the long range 375 bullets currently in development are expected to be 350 grains and heavier. If you have interest in shooting those bullets, you may wish to consider going with a larger case, and perhaps, a rifling twist that is even faster than 1/10.

Otherwise, an off-the-shelf 375 Ruger may not be a bad choice. With the right powders and bullets, you might be surprised at what it will do.

okay, so thinking backwards... I want an extreme long range rig. That not a lot of people think about but is possible to accomplish. I'm going to hunt with it when the circumstance calls for it. I know this is hard. I know I could go with a 375 ct, 375 am, or 375 snipetech but extreme long range guys are already doing this. I could get a 378 weatherby, or a 375 Ruger, or 375 h&h improved.

Okay grain of bullet. I would love to be able to throw the 325-350 class bullets respectable speeds, I don't need to break land speeds just push them respectfully.

Am I trying to achieve something that is unatainable? Is it impossible to go the less convientinal way?

Darrin

... I want an extreme long range rig........

How far do you think that is?

Yes, you can toss lead/copper quite aways with the .375 Ruger as it comes set up from the factory.

You'll probably gain a little velocity with a longer barrel, and chambering to seat bullets out to maintain powder capacity.

You know the bigger cases will do it better.

Only you know if it's an itch worth scratching.

Good Luck!

I consider extremes long range 1756yrds +. I would love to practice practice and practice some more to become skilled enough to hit targets out to 2000+. That's the goal . I have a long way to do so but I'm willing to work for it.

Yeah I know bigger case is by far better. So it's inevitable I think I know where this project is heading.

Darrin.

Okay grain of bullet. I would love to be able to throw the 325-350 class bullets respectable speeds, I don't need to break land speeds just push them respectfully.

Am I trying to achieve something that is unatainable? Is it impossible to go the less convientinal way?

Darrin

At that bullet weight, do you mean copper jacketed lead, like the Sierra Match King, or a turned solid like Cutting Edge Bullets?

My Edge runs 300 SMKs to 2850 all day long.
A 375 with a 28+ tube on it should be able to clip 2850 without question with most 300 gr stuff. That's a SHOULD BE don't take my word for it, just thinking out loud, usually increasing bore size with the same weight will yield a velocity increase.
Just MHO I have no experience with that bullet nor did I model the data, just an observation.

I have found your estimation to be correct concerning Bullet weight vs bore diameter in the same case, but only for bullets of similar shape and construction.

That said, a 300gr jacketed Bullet would act as you describe.

A turned bullet of same weight, on the other hand...

I have a 375 Ruger with a factory installed 26" barrel and 270 grains is about optimal for the powder capacity. You should consider the RUM 375 with a 1 in 9 as Harperc says. The Ruger runs out of powder capacity pretty fast with bullets over 270.

KB

Consider an improved RUM-based cartridge like the Edge, or better yet, a Lapua-based cartridge like the Sledgehammer, the Lazzeroni Saturn, Swamplord's LRH, etc. Any of those would be better at the distance you are talking about versus a H&H class cartridge like the Ruger. If you want the maximum in a true magnum-sized action, without going to a Cheytac behemoth, look at Swamplord's Mjölnir and Executioner.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.