375/08 vs 375 raptor

marksman1941

I have a wild hair to build a close range thumper off a 700 SA, and landed on a 375 jaguar (or similar). First question, JES says he can rebore my .308 to a 375/08 without a problem, but is there an actual difference between 375/08 and 375 raptor? Or the .375 jaguar for that matter? They all seem identical, but I can't find case dimensions to know for certain. I mainly need to ensure my die selection matches what JES bores for me.

Secondly, does anyone know why the 375 raptor website went down? It was already gone when I started my research on this cartridge, but most forum posts (historical) link to that site as the main font of knowledge about this round.

Isn't the 375/308, just a necked up 308 case?

Whereas the 375 Raptor is a necked up 308 case, and then you have to trim a considerable amount off of the case

The case length for the standard 308 case is 2.015"..then neck it up to .375

The case length for the 375 Raptor is trimmed to 1.865"

The 375/308, will have considerably more case neck bearing surface than the 375 Raptor....

But regardless, you can buy premium Lapua/ADG/Peterson brass for both cartridges.

Last edited:
That's what I am having trouble figuring out is the dimensional differences between the two. I just bought a set of raptor dies, as I didn't find any 375/08 dies anywhere. I'd prefer more bearing surface overall if it's an option.

I would assume the 375/08 case/neck is a little longer in some way.

The Raptor is designed to use subsonic as well. So it's a little shorter. The case I have been playing with seems to hold onto bullets pretty good. The case neck on the 375 ruger is not too much longer than the raptor. I think maybe 0.030".

If you have or are thinking of getting a 375 cal suppressor, then the potential to shoot subs is nice.

I would assume the 375/08 case/neck is a little longer in some way.

The Raptor is designed to use subsonic as well. So it's a little shorter. The case I have been playing with seems to hold onto bullets pretty good. The case neck on the 375 ruger is not too much longer than the raptor. I think maybe 0.030".

If you have or are thinking of getting a 375 cal suppressor, then the potential to shoot subs is nice.
That's a really fair point. I'd like to run a suppressor, but had t planned on running many subs (although I do in my .300 blk and .308 so I'm sure I'd play with them here).

My primary goal will be to run 260-300gr slugs as hard as possible. Do you think the shorter neck bearing surface will result in bullets needing seated deeper to maintain neck tension, thereby losing case capacity?

With longer bullets in these big bore short actions, usually it's cartridge OAL that makes you seat the bullet deep.

I feel mono metals have more potential in the Raptor. The lighter weight helps you drive them faster.

190 maker, 230 Plainsmaster, 270 Speer

20231018_195846.jpg

I appreciate the insight. I'm new to the bigger bores, and to wildcats (although this is a relatively common wildcat, or was at one point). I hadn't looked at lighter weight monos for this yet but I will. I picked up some 300gr partitions for a great price so I figured I'd use those for whacking bears, but maybe that isn't the ideal

Not sure how the partition compares, but the load data from the raptor website (when it was working) shows the 300gr SGK being shot with a max velocity of 2250fps out of a 20" barrel.

That would be a ball of energy at that velocity. Did you save/download load info from the website before it went down? Would you be comfortable sending that to me if you have it? It would be nice to have something to reference.

Curios on this one as well. Had intended to do a 45 raptor but it put me in much heavier barrel contours. Had a friend up here do some version of a 375 308. Remember him being upset over shoulders and dies, the 375 raptor looks viable, but does it clean a 308 chamber?

Will be curious which way you go. I've a donor rifle for the wife and want enough hp to be useful but not so much it's hard to hold on to. Hopefully the 375 bore efficiency makes it worthwhile, the numbers on the 358 are kinda hard to justify.

I'm not sure what you mean by clean a 308 chamber?

In theory you should be able to load up or down as much as you like. A 300gr at 2250fps gives something like 3,300 ftlbs of muzzle energy which is a wallop (30/06 is usually around 3,000). A longer barrel may gain you some more speed. But, if you load some of the bullets built for the 375 winchester or some slower calibers and drop your velocity a bit, you could probably make a relatively gently rifle out of it.

I expect I'll go whatever route JES is able to bore for me, and figure out the dies after.