375 RUM Acquired

GelatinousPig

Hello all. First off, this is my first post other than the tradition intro post on the newby thread. With that, I wanted to say I look forward to reading all of the vast knowledge this group of fine folks has to share. I'm posting to say that I have acquired a new 375 RUM XCR II this past week, and just received my order of 2 boxes of Rem. 300gr cartridges. While I am no beginner to recoil (I have about 600 rounds through my S&W 500 Mag, and carried the M60 for a while in the Army), I am both anxious and nervous about the first one I light up. The rifle is 100% factory right now, and I don't want to scope it until I see how much eye relief I will need. The iron sights should do me well at my LGR since it is limited to 100 yards anyway. I keep reading posts that make it out to be some insane monster, but I read that same type of prose when I researched the 500 Mag. After I touched off a few, I determined most of the folks must have been arm chair cowboys. Will that be the case with the 375?

Last edited:
Ok, took it to the range and waited for the line to clear out. All of the reports about the insane recoil are underestimates. It pushed me back about 4 feet, came up and over me landing about 12 feet back, and the back stop buckled under the strain nearly causing it to topple over. Two guys rushed over to see what happened because their car windows shattered, and there was a 12 year old over at the 25 yard lanes crying wanting to leave. I heard sirens coming in the distance, at least I thought they were as the shrill ringing in my ears was muffling most of the sound, and my ear plugs were still in too boot. I staggered as I stood up (yes it knocked me off my feet), and realized the muzzle blast had caused atmospheric disturbances to the degree that thunder clouds with lightning were forming over the range scattering folks who looked for shelter from the strikes. It was then that I decided this was the rifle+cartridge for me. On a more serious note, it kicked less than my 12 gauge with 7 1/2 shot. Why do so many people on the net make calibers above .308 out to be mythical fire-breathing dragon slayers that only Hercules can operate?

Yep recoil is a funny thing, especially when dished onto other people. YouTube is full of videos supporting this.

For Christmas I just got a brand new right hand XCR Tactical in .300 win mag that I wish was a lefty .375 or .338 RUM.

Have fun with your cannon.

Yep recoil is a funny thing, especially when dished onto other people. YouTube is full of videos supporting this.

For Christmas I just got a brand new right hand XCR Tactical in .300 win mag that I wish was a lefty .375 or .338 RUM.

Have fun with your cannon.

Congrats on the new thunder stick. New barrel will fix you up on the caliber, but won't correct the southpaw requirement :(. I was on the fence for months between the 338 RUM and 375 RUM. After seeing some of the BC's for the latest 375 bullets (ones that will work in the RUM vs just the CT), and number crunching for hours with the Ballistic AE app on my phone, I chose the 375. Seems brass is the stickler on it though. I've read 300 RUM brass will work necked up, but I'll have to read more on it. I have another 3 boxes of Rem fodder on the way, so I'll have 100 pieces of brass at least for now. Weather sucks, so I haven't been able to get to the LGR. Oh well. Have fun tossing some lead with the 300 :)

Ok, took it to the range and waited for the line to clear out. All of the reports about the insane recoil are underestimates. It pushed me back about 4 feet, came up and over me landing about 12 feet back, and the back stop buckled under the strain nearly causing it to topple over. Two guys rushed over to see what happened because their car windows shattered, and there was a 12 year old over at the 25 yard lanes crying wanting to leave. I heard sirens coming in the distance, at least I thought they were as the shrill ringing in my ears was muffling most of the sound, and my ear plugs were still in too boot. I staggered as I stood up (yes it knocked me off my feet), and realized the muzzle blast had caused atmospheric disturbances to the degree that thunder clouds with lightning were forming over the range scattering folks who looked for shelter from the strikes. It was then that I decided this was the rifle+cartridge for me. On a more serious note, it kicked less than my 12 gauge with 7 1/2 shot. Why do so many people on the net make calibers above .308 out to be mythical fire-breathing dragon slayers that only Hercules can operate?

Your sense of humor will serve you well on this site. (I liked your description of the recoil). The 375
RUM is a great round and very capable of fine accuracy. Brass is a little difficult to find at present, so hang on to your fired brass and keep an eye open for more.

There are several people on this site that load for the 375 Rum and maybe they will chime in.

And yes recoil is relative to the person shooting so as long as it doesn't effect your shooting you will be fine. I would recommend a scope with 4" of eye relief set as far forward as possible to get a full view and also for when you are out of position or shooting prone.

Good luck and have fun.

J E CUSTOM

pig

I've worked up loads for a few big bore non-braked rifles. I typically stick some extra padding on my shoulder and call it good. The problem comes in when you are firing that ladder test. Shot after shot does start to build up on you. The other problem is calling your shot when hunting alone at long range. For those reasons all my big bores wear brakes. Then the only problem is waiting for the barrel to cool because they are so fun to shoot. When you get some more experience with the gun, come back with a report of what you think of it as the 375 RUM is one of two new calibers I'm considering.

pig

I've worked up loads for a few big bore non-braked rifles. I typically stick some extra padding on my shoulder and call it good. The problem comes in when you are firing that ladder test. Shot after shot does start to build up on you. The other problem is calling your shot when hunting alone at long range. For those reasons all my big bores wear brakes. Then the only problem is waiting for the barrel to cool because they are so fun to shoot. When you get some more experience with the gun, come back with a report of what you think of it as the 375 RUM is one of two new calibers I'm considering.

Just wanted to say I haven't forgotten about this. Things have been slow moving, and I'm really worried about the 375 RUM cartridge, so I've been hoarding what Rem fodder I do have. In fact, after seeing Midway remove brass for it entirely, I've only fired 7 rounds. Brass for it seems to have fallen into the annals of historical discussion at this point. I have not yet obtained a 338 RUM mandrel, so necking up 300 RUM is not an option yet. I still have a full box of 350gr SMK's sitting on the shelf waiting. Sigh... what to do...

Very good tell. :D:D

Some who have not done it, think it's a macho thing so make it out to be more than it is.

Some who have done it, did not wear enough hearing protection and confuse blast with recoil.

I have a 375 Ultra Mag. Recoil is not a issue, because it has a muzzle brake. Shooting a 270 gr Barnes TSX.
My friend has a XCR 375 that is not braked. I have shot it. Shot a 3 shot group. Choose not to shoot a 5 shot group.:D

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.