375 DCM, 375/408imp

Greg, you've run the CE range from 350-425gr. In another thread you said they are all pretty identical ballistically. What combo do you find to be the best? I have a feeling the 400 and 425s might I've a little better barrel life (could be wrong!) Also, what have you found for a BC on those 450gr Lazers? From what I've seen the 425gr MTH is right around .495 G7. Bryan Litz tested the 352gr MTAC at .408 G7. Keep up the amazing work!!

Thanks.

If you are hunting you most likely want the highest velocity projectile at your intended target distance for the best possible terminal performance.

For shooting ELR targets/steel/rocks I prefer the heaviest projectile I can use.

Obviously accuracy being equal between the choices of projectile weights.

With my barrels I haven't noticed a difference in accuracy except at ELR when the conditions start to push the projectiles around.

Thanks Greg, I've run the 350s (3400fps) against the 425s (3000fps) in JBM. The 350s hold the velocity advantage all the way to 2056 yards at standard sea level conditions. Have you done any expansion testing with the MTH vs the Lazer? The extra 400fps expansion window would give quite a range increase if the BCs are close between the two bullet types. Heck, maybe someday Dan will make the 450s a regular item like what happened with the 425s you commissioned!

One thing I found interesting though, I ran the 425gr MTH in Berger Bullets' Twist Rate/Stability Calculator.. In a straight 8" twist barrel they are supposedly perfectly stable even at 0* temperature and only 2700 fps velocity.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-08-06-13-56-37.png
    Screenshot_2015-08-06-13-56-37.png
    66.7 KB · Views: 21
Thanks Greg, I've run the 350s (3400fps) against the 425s (3000fps) in JBM.

How in the world is one going to get 3400 out of any 350 class bullet. I max out for all practical/sane purposed at a bit over 3250.

Just a note: 2 out of 8 CEB 377s tumbled @ 1019 yards starting out at 3155 from a 10 twist barrel. Was fine tuning on a gong. 3 shots went into 0.6 MOA. The 4 shot key holed off to the right a ways.

Going with the 350s

The 375 DCM will do it, and I believe Kirby's 375 Allen Mag would as well... With proper barrel lengths. Honestly I'm just trying to keep this thread alive, because its the best I've seen in quite a while.:)gun)

Last edited:
Thanks Greg, I've run the 350s (3400fps) against the 425s (3000fps) in JBM. The 350s hold the velocity advantage all the way to 2056 yards at standard sea level conditions. Have you done any expansion testing with the MTH vs the Lazer? The extra 400fps expansion window would give quite a range increase if the BCs are close between the two bullet types. Heck, maybe someday Dan will make the 450s a regular item like what happened with the 425s you commissioned!

One thing I found interesting though, I ran the 425gr MTH in Berger Bullets' Twist Rate/Stability Calculator.. In a straight 8" twist barrel they are supposedly perfectly stable even at 0* temperature and only 2700 fps velocity.

The Lazers will have better Terminal performance than the MTHs.

I was tipping the MTHs before CEB made the Lazers, this made a big difference to their terminal performance.

I'm sure Dan will make you some 450s or 452s if you ask :)

I managed to get good accuracy from a Lilja 1-9 twist with the 400 & 425s, a friend has shot the 425s accurately past 2K with the 9 twist.

Just be aware my Lilja barrel was undersized, .365 instead of .366 between the lands, this meant I had to get Dan to make me custom projectiles because the Lilja was undersized, an extremely frustrating situation, let alone having to get 250 each of the 400s & 425s for that barrel alone, useless in other barrels, very disappointing :rolleyes:

So now I have a couple of 40" Bartleins on the way at least I know they will be the right size, & I can use any of the standard CEBs in them, how fast do you think I could get the 350s, 3600 ? :D

How in the world is one going to get 3400 out of any 350 class bullet. I max out for all practical/sane purposed at a bit over 3250.

Just a note: 2 out of 8 CEB 377s tumbled @ 1019 yards starting out at 3155 from a 10 twist barrel. Was fine tuning on a gong. 3 shots went into 0.6 MOA. The 4 shot key holed off to the right a ways.

Going with the 350s

Easy with a decent length barrel, 32-33"

A decent size 375imp case, DCM, Snipetac, Allen Mag.

& the right powder, RL50, H50BMG, Retumbo, RL33 :)

40" 375 DCM, 350s at 3600 should be attainable relatively easy if you got 3450~ in a 33".. 425s would probably be somewhere north of 3200:)

The thing that really impressed me is how light some of the 375s are getting... Your 375 DCM LITE, Hill Country Rifles' Carry Weight Cheytac... It's like 12-13lbs without scope. That light in something with that much reach!:D Amazing

40" 375 DCM, 350s at 3600 should be attainable relatively easy if you got 3450~ in a 33".. 425s would probably be somewhere north of 3200:)

The thing that really impressed me is how light some of the 375s are getting... Your 375 DCM LITE, Hill Country Rifles' Carry Weight Cheytac... It's like 12-13lbs without scope. That light in something with that much reach!:D Amazing

My 375 DCM Lite is just under 11.5lbs including the scope :cool:

325 Lazers at 3375 fps, 330 tipped MTHs at 3350 fps :D

Last edited by a moderator:
She's quite the little powerhouse for sure! I do believe the guys at HCR even made a 3800 yard shot with one of the Carry Weight Cheytacs. Hell, The 325 Lazer has dang near the same G7 BC as the 350SMK (.370 LZR vs ..376 SMK) Bryan Litz has tested most of the .375 CEBs (375-425 still to go) even the Cheytac "Balanced Flight" Solids. You can go to Applied Ballistics' website and find them in the ballistic calculator's bullet library

Last edited:

I took all kinds of files/rasps and rotary tools to my A-5 stock and a milling machine to the Bat M action then took off everything from the rail that wasn't absolutely needed + removed one of the 4 NF light rings.

Replaced the NXS with a Leuy Mk 4 to cut weight further.

She now ways, all up, on certified/registered scales at 15.94 pounds. Idaho big game rules say no more than 16 pounds. I wasn't satisfied until I got the first two digits on the scales to 15. Some of our fish cops are pretty much sinks…..:rolleyes:

Yeah, that's quite the endeavor Roy! If I was going to do a conventional stock, I would probably attempt to use one of the Manners TF4 but I think the weight balance would be too front heavy. TF4 with the Elite Tactical fill with a Fluted #7 30" could be interesting...

Last edited:
Code:
Yeah, that's quite the endeavor Roy! If I was going to do a conventional stock, I would probably attempt to use one of the Manners TF4 but I think the weight balance would be too front heavy. TF4 with the Elite Tactical fill with a Fluted #7 30" could be interesting...

Balance on the big girl is just in front of the scope's end bell.

16#s is a might heavy for strolling around the mountains. Thus the pack animal gets it as part of her load...

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.