.375/416 Barret?

Got my go gauge in today....dang this is gonna be a toad.

I am really interested in one of the Desert Tactical HTI platforms, even though I am not a tactical type.

One of my customers ordered the HDI platform in 6.5 Lapua. I colored the barrel for him to match the rest of the rig. One is allways sceptical of the take down rifles and how accurate they
really are. A strip of set screws and one tiny lock is all that holds the barrel into the chassis.

Lets see your GO gauge! Take a pic along side another case for comparison.

Dave

Eddybo,

Let see that thing man! One thing to note, I do believe those rifles are a bit on the expensive side, and you could do a custom job for less...in more of a standard configuration, and even lighter. I do know Mike (ABS Barrels) has done them down to 10 lbs, but 12 and up is easily done. Give him a call and ask him about what configurations he would pick for that light of a rifle.

Dave,

Man, great to hear! How about showin' us a pic? One thing I do have to mention, is that case neck length. You can do shorter, but the throat wears out much faster, and the long boat tail ends up eating capacity. The one thing we did when did the 416B conversion is drop the sholder back, improve the case (though there wasn't much to improve on) and go to a 40 degree shoulder. This made the powder colum a little shorter and the neck longer with about the same case capacity as we started with. Honestly, from what I see, it looks more like a 338LM to 338Norma conversion. I am just a big fan of a long neck...can't help it (and it doesn't hurt).

-AP

Here is the necked down case to 375 cal. (not fireformed)
Another pic is the 416 version that has been fired, a comparison to a 308 win.
The 375 will have the same body design.

375_VM1.JPG

416VM-308Win1.JPG

Dave, Thanks! That looks like a winner to me! I am thinking that will be about the perfect combination (caliber, bullet weight, capacity, rifle platform) for most tactical or long range systems. You might be on to the next Chey-Tac...or should I say CT killer! gun)

Two things come to mind:

One, what then is the difference between the 585 African and the 577 T-Rex? Same case diameter, same bullet diameter...maybe length?

Two, Ugly bullet man! Brass bad, Copper good. GSC, GSC, GSC...

Well, I got home today and found my reamer waiting on me. A barrel shows up I will be ready to go.

Here is a pic of the reamer go gauge a 300 WM case and a 308 case.

375reamer.jpg

Dave,

What is the capacity and rim diameter on the 375 viersico....wish I had known you were working on this before I got so deep in what I am playing with. I would have placed an order instead of muddling around. I am enjoying playing with the fifty I bought as a donor, so not all is lost.

Extremist,

I do not have my print handy, so I cannot say on the neck length, no idea on the capacity off the top of my head. I played with it in quick design a while back but cannot recall capacity.

Is that an actual case there in the photo? If so, grab your calipers and scale man! :) The 375VM is bases off a .688 case head and design to funtion through standard magnum sized actions. Not quite your 50 (.809) action size. Still, it is likely to be a better option when it comes to powder choice and efficiency.

-AP

That is just a 416 case, it has not been formed yet. I might cut a chamber to fireform with this week end. If I get around to forming a few cases, I will let you know the answers to your queries.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.