.357 Magnum Sight In Range

ltrmc02

I know this is probably the wrong forum to discuss small revolver hunting but thought I'd check to see if any of you hunt white tails with a .357 magnum and what range would you suggest sighting in at to prevent the bullet from exceeding a 3" rise above the line of sight. I have a Ruger GP100 6" and just got out today and tweaked it in at 75 yards as I have a hunting spot set up that will require a 70 yard shot from my stand to my feeder. I have taken several deer within 30 yard range with this gun but never have done a longer shot with it. I feel pretty confident at the 75 yard mark after shooting it today but I'd like to get suggestions for a good sight in range. I'm currently shooting it with open sights, had it scoped two seasons ago but just prefer to use it open sights so I put some night sights on it for low light shots.

I have been shooting factory 125 grain soft points and which is what I just sighted in for but I've just got into reloading and have bought some 190 grain cast bullets that I will load soon and will re-sight for those. I was told I could get around 1400 fps with these rounds but I won't know till working up a load and testing myself, seems pretty fast for that weight out of a 6" .357 to me.

I have hunted in the past with a 44 mag Ruger Redhawk. My sight in distance was 75 yards as well, and I have taken deer to a little more than 100 yards with it. If your feeder is 70 yards from your stand, then 75 yards seems like the most reasonable sight in distance to me. Good luck with your hunt!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.