340 Weatherby Reloading Data

werth338

Looking at reloading data for a 340 Weatherby. Hodgdon site just lists H4831 and H4350 data. Does anyone have any experience with H1000,Retumbo or IMR8133? Going to be looking at shooting a 230 or 270 gr ELD-X.

For 250 class bullets, H 4831 has always given good results also 50 BMG. and H1000. Have not tried 8133. I have had good luck with Accubonds and Eldx also an old standby the 250 grain Partition for Elk

J E CUSTOM

338, found a great load for my friend's 340 loading H1000 and 225 Nosler Partition. Not a high b/c, but he hunts elk in a unit with thick junipers so shots aren't terribly long. Didn't try any heavier bullets since he is a stubborn old fart and only the 225's will satisfy him. Good luck

I use 7828 with 225 NAB and 200 Gr Woodleigh. Nosler lists 83.5 gr starting for the 7828 and 225's. I run 90.5 gr with the 200 and 87 on the 225's. Neither are overly hot but very accurate for me. I am hunting some RL 26 to load as well and see how it does.

morning, 340wbee, 210gr. TTSX, 4831sc powder.
very accurate load in my accu-mark. with muzzle
brake. justme gbot tum

DNADave. Just saw this. I haven't had a chance to work up my 340 load yet. I got sidetraked with a 300 Norma Improved for the moment.

As someone with too many hobbies, I can understand being distracted.

I'd like to run a plan for working up a load by you. I used to reload with my grandfather growing up and and started doing it myself recently to offset the cost of Weatherby ammo. Given that Hornady has not published load data for their ELD-X bullets for either .340 Wby Mag or .240 Wby Mag, I'm thinking of doing the following from a suggestion from Hornady's customer support.

I've noticed that for other calibers, the load data for ELD-X bullets is always listed with that for Interlock RN bullets. I can find load data for Interlock RN bullets for both .340 Wby Mag and .240 Wby Mag and thought I would use those values as upper and lower bounds for charges.

Is that a reliable strategy?

I typically use Hodgdon powders and use their website as a starting point. If working a ladder test, you should be able to find a node. What powder are you going to use?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.