340 Weatherby Build

340ORHNTR

I currently have a 340 weatherby mark v synthetic, and am shooting 250 grain partitions. I have never been able to get great groups i have gotten good groups, 2" @ 300yards consistently but then all of a sudden it wont group at all. Lately it has just been so poor that i don't even want to think about it. I have ordered a new stock from H-S precision and am still waiting on it. I guess my question is it has a #2 contour barrel and was wondering if i should go with a larger contour barrel. If so where should i go and who makes one with a muzzle brake since the 340 packs quite a punch without a break. I have hunted almost my whole life but in the past 2 years or so have really gotten into longer range. I hunt in Oregon and want something i can pack all day. I am looking for something i can trust to shoot consistently out to about 600 or 700 yards in the field and on the range. Thanks.

hey 340RHNTR,
I have the exact same rifle, and had very similar problems with that bullet weight. the best load i came up with was 88.5gr reloader 25 pushing a 225 grain interbond. i consistantly get very tight groups (for a factory barrel). the issue is low B.C with the 225gr. the best bullet for in th 250gr range was the Sierra game king with my gun. i was getting 1" groups at 100 yards with those (though i never really tried to develope a really good load, makes me wonder:rolleyes:). if that doesnt work i would rebarrel to somthing a BIT heavier and go to the edge or lapua.

Angus
I have a buddy that shoots a 340 accumark with a #3 fluted weatherby barrel and gets awesome groups. So i will work on some loads and see what i get. I am just thinking a #3 or #4 contour would be heavier and more consistent. Thanks for the advice.

Have you tried anything from Barnes yet? I have a .340wby and so does my father and we've had great luck with triple shocks. With the weatherby action you push the load pretty hot. We use 90gr of RL 19 and 225 Triple shocks or now tipped triple shocks. We're getting .5-.75 inch groups. Work up to that load though.. its over max but we aren't showing pressure signs.

As far as the rifle i'd have it restocked as you are and then try some new loads first. Then look to a new barrel. My rifle now is a custom with a #2 lilja barrel and I can shoot .5 groups most of the time when I do my job. My rifle weighs 7lbs with scope so it can be done. As far as a break I use a high tech rifles break but we've got some great smiths on hear that offer some nice breaks too. either way it can be done with a light barrel. good luck

I have not tried any Barnes yet but i have herd good things about them. I might have to give that a try.

I am thinking a new barrel would be a good option. Does anyone know a good gunsmith in Oregon? Thanks.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.