34" .338 barrel where to get?

snox801

As title states it having trouble tracking down a 34" .338 barrel blank. Or should I say I'm looking for options. Which companies make them? Which do you think have a decent turn around time? Thanks

As title states it having trouble tracking down a 34" .338 barrel blank. Or should I say I'm looking for options. Which companies make them? Which do you think have a decent turn around time? Thanks

It's more difficult to find the 'over-length' barrels in a ready to sell situation. I finally found one in a classified section of one of the shooting websites. It is a Krieger. More of my experience has been with Bartlein Barrels, whether ordering or buying outright online.

Both Krieger and Bartlein are several months out unless you happen to time your order with the start of a particular run of barrels. Bruno's carries 33" Kriegers if 1" is not a problem for you.

This is not to say that these are the only two manufacturers. I have a 40" Lilja which is in reserve for a project which has been sidelined for the rest of this year. I asked Criterion about their barrels and the max length but was told it was 31".

Check the websites carefully to see if they might have some overrun barrels in odd lengths or twist rates. Lilja and Krieger do but I don't think Bartlein does.

Regards.

Most makers we reference here and that I've used will make a 34" for an additional fee. Usually by the inch.

I like Pac-Nor for the longer barrels.

morning, I have shilen 32" barrel that will finish to 30". SS straight
contour, light palma. 338cal. $300 shipped. still in the box. TUM

Thanks for the replies. I had one order with Mitch from lethal but it's been quite a while and it's still not shipped so after talking with him we are looking for something in stock. And as it's a dedicated long range rig and it's .338 lapua improved I am gonna go with a 34" finished to get more fps. Thanks for the info good start and 6-8 isn't to bad if those are true.

I checked Dan's website and it states as follows:

Our delivery time on made-to-order barrels is 12-14 weeks. Custom barrels cannot be ordered online. Please call or email specifics on these.

That's 3 to 3-1/2 months which is not so bad. You can check with folks like Brux, Satern, etc. who might be ready to start a run. The .338 barrels are extremely popular as you well know so the production runs should be higher numbers.

Regards.

Thanks for the replies. I had one order with Mitch from lethal but it's been quite a while and it's still not shipped so after talking with him we are looking for something in stock. And as it's a dedicated long range rig and it's .338 lapua improved I am gonna go with a 34" finished to get more fps. Thanks for the info good start and 6-8 isn't to bad if those are true.

Do you think you will notice much FPS difference between a 30"-32" and the 34" barrel in a Lapua cased .338 with what, about 120gr capacity?

I don't believe you will see much if any gain...maybe in a Cheytac/Snipetac class casing...

I'd run a 30" and start shooting stuff...

Thanks guys I found a few tests also for length in the .338 lapua that's why I want a 34" as the 32" is money for the lapua but the improved may benefit from 2" more. I would jump on that linja but have heard several rumors of them burning out quick. I'm pretty sure kirby even charged barrel suppliers because of that.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.