Where to get my barreled action Black Nitrided

wait until your all done with metal work. Nitrided barrels are really tough to have threaded or rechambered. a lot of smith won't work on nitrided barrels or actions

^^^^^^^^^ " , a lot of smith won't work on nitride barrels or actions" Nitrided SS ca be cut with carbide tooling (I have not tried CM, yet). Most gunsmiths don't own carbide chambering reamers and never will. The cost of such tooling is prohibitive, and you could never take advantage of the speeds carbide tools should be used at unless you are doing your chambering on a CNC tool room lathe. And, at the cost of the carbide reamers, who would want to 'experiment' with their carbide reamer just to be able to cut through a nitrided surface? Make darned sure you have all of your machine/metal work complete before having anything nitride treated! The main point of having a barrel nitride treated is to extend the barrels' life. The nice finish (IMO) is just an added plus. I use Controlled Thermal Technologies in Phoenix, AZ. Good price, good turn around time..... Be advised though, CCT is not a FFL (unless they have become 'licensed' since I last spoke with them). So, sending them an action is a no-no.

Why would you need, or want to have your action nitride?
Is there an advantage , other than matching color of barrel, that I am missing?

Why would you need, or want to have your action nitride?
Is there an advantage , other than matching color of barrel, that I am missing?

Some custom action manufactures have their actions Melonite/Black Nitride treated. Overall, custom actions are "slicker" than commercial actions, like Rem. 700s or Savages. A nitride surface has an increased 'slickness' to it. I see no strength advantage in having a commercial action treated, they are plenty strong enough to begin with. By the time you'd have a commercial action polished up, to be a slick as a custom action, and had a custom bolt fit to it so it would be as tight as a custom action,, you might as well have purchased a custom action to begin with. I've never, personally, 'worn out' a commercial action.. From the original post, it appears 'cosmetics' is his only concern. It comes from too much interdnet. CM barrels and actions are 'blued' while assembled. That is the only way the 'color' of the bluing will match on both pieces. You could dis-assemble the barrel and action and blue them in the same tank and the colors would match, but you'd risk molesting the finish when they are assembled. If you have a barrel and action nitride they will need to be dis-assembled for treatment and then reassembled. True, the finish left behind by nitriding is 'tougher' than conventional bluing (black oxide). Some slow rust blues come so close to matching a black nitride finish only a very discriminating eye can see the difference. And, some how, we keep looking at 'price' without considering shipping cost both ways. If all the OP is looking for is "color", have a local 'smith Ceracoat it and be done with it. Maybe he thinks nitriding is just a lower cost option of "having the colors on both the barrel and action 'match' (what about the bottom metal?!). I'll go ahead and point out, that if you are having a barrel nitride to increase longevity it would make NO SENSE to have the blank nitride treated and then cut the chamber (and threads and crown) with a carbide reamer. It would defeat the purpose of nitride treating as the throat of the chamber would have the treated surface removed, thus allowing normal wear to take place...

I guess I need to elaborate on my thoughts. Yes, this is a combination of esthetics as well as function. The reason I was looking at nitride above the "paints" is because of the benefits that it brings to the barrel. For me I don't think I would really notice the benefits of a nitrided action so that part is purely for esthetics. Having said that, I saw a pic that elkaholic posted of his Savage 6.5 SS. It has the Savage blued action and a stainless steel barrel. I thought it would look a bit odd but it looks much better than I had pictured so maybe I don't need to worry about it. Don't know why the comment about the blank.

Making the action smoother from the Melanite makes sense.
Do you do both the bolt and body of the action?

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.