.338 WinMag

I shoot a 338 W.Mag also in Ruger Mark 11 with a 24" barrel. I am using a Winchester Case, Fed 210 primer Win 760 with 70 + grs powder using 200 gr. Accubond and getting 3220 fps out of them punching almost a single hole at a 100 yds. Work your load up from there. I did place a mussel brake on it. It's like a little kit now. I am having a 338 W.Mag being built with a 26" barrel presently. If I can I will go back to H4350 powder. IMR4350 is subject to hot and cold weather and so is 760. Watch your partitions on velocity. I haven't use them in years, but if remember correctly they recommend staying under 2900 fps.
SSS
Mike

Last edited:
I shoot a 338 W.Mag also in Ruger Mark 11 with a 24" barrel. I am using a Winchester Case, Fed 210 primer Win 760 with 70 + grs powder using 200 gr. Accubond and getting 3220 fps out of them punching almost a single hole at a 100 yds. Work your load up from there. I did place a mussel brake on it. It's like a little kit now. I am having a 338 W.Mag being built with a 26" barrel presently. If I can I will go back to H4350 powder. IMR4350 is subject to hot and cold weather and so is 760. Watch your partitions on velocity. I haven't use them in years, but if remember correctly they recommend staying under 2900 fps.
SSS
Mike

Mike, just a few days ago Natchez had a bunch of H 4350.....8 pounders were running about $200.00! memtb

well I guess it is just the face that lead bullets open up better and they leave a better blood trail. If
SSS
Mike
you are using the right bullet for sure and the 338 with the serria gameking 215 will hume also and the bullet will perform very well.

Pizzaman - If you are not using a brake, just make sure that your .338 has sufficient weight to compensate for the recoil of a .338 WM. If you get your gun too light, it will turn into a beast! And you will not like it!

Some years ago, I purposefully built a lightweight .338 WM on a classic M70 stainless action. Number 4 fluted barrel (Lilja), Rimrock stock. No muzzle brake. Small scope. Wanted it light. With four rounds of ammo, scope, and sling (in other words, field ready), the rifle weighs in at 8 lbs 4 oz.

I like to shoot 250 gr Swift A-Frames in it. Have also used some 250 gr Nosler Partitions. This is not a long range rifle, but was built for hunting black timber elk. It was also used on a couple of Alaska hunts for Sitka blacktailed deer in the midst of the big brown bears.

Anyway, the recoil on this rifle is formidable. Shooting this rifle off the bench is a tough job, and the recoil is really too much. Nonetheless, I have been successfully hunting with this rifle for many years now, and there is no other rifle that I would rather have in my hands in the middle of grizzly country. I have never had to use it on a grizzly, but I have stood with it ready while waiting for Mr. Griz to make his move.

But truly this rifle is too light. So either keep the gun weight up, or else use a muzzle brake to tame the .338. The cartridge is just as good as everyone else has already said on this thread.

And like memtb, my wife hunts with one as well. Hers is an old tang safety Ruger M77, which is just a bit heavier. Makes it a little easier to shoot too.
the above bullets you use are the best in the world for big bear. no copper bullet will ever be a good choice for big bears... only other bullet would be the barnes original 250 .049.. I have hem but I live in big griz country and I carry the Nolser pat.

As for the 338 win mag. it is the best 338. If it won't stop em then you need a 458 win. in north america you wint need the 458. the largest Polar Bear was shot with the 340 weatherby nothing but a longer case 338 win. with no real vel difference. just a longer bbl. I have a bit friendlier 338/06Imp but in big bear country the win mag is the gun of choice.

montana west, while my wife has never taken a big bear ( big grizzly or brown), she's taken many elk and a moose, and we've yet to recover a 225 grain Barnes ( going all the way back to the original X Bullet). Unless shot "end to end".....I think it would require a pretty big bear to stop one of the Barnes X Bullets! If I read your post correctly, you would prefer a 250 grain partition ove a 225 or 250 grain X Bullet? Thanks, memtb

If my late friend is correct on his figures, the 200 grain @3230 pfs is generating 4633 fp at mussle. Looking at his figures on all the load he worked up. They range from 175 gr. to 250 gr bullets. The others were below that. He had as next step down was 210 gr at 4337 fp. If you are going a long ways out there, then it's probable a different story. I generally keep my shot under 500 yards. I did the shooting get these loads shot for groups. The ruger kit the hell out me and I am not a small man either. It didn't have much of a butt pad either. Mussle brake I feel is a must. I have watch a many elk go down under the 338 win mag. Not so much by me, but others.

Mike, I do know that my wife does not "enjoy" shooting her's from the bench. She fires a few rounds every year, to verify the zero. The rest, all be it not many, are fired from field positions! Her rifle, sub 9 pounds and "no" brake.....does get your attention! memtb

I've shot a number mule deer and a couple whitetails with 210 partitions out of a Ruger 77. Worked great. I just got news I'm getting that rifle back (sold to a buddy). I'll load with 200g accubonds which should be a great all around combo. Back when I had the rifle, it would regularly shoot 1 hole groups with 200g ballistic tips. The bullets were way soft for elk so I switched over to partitions for everything. Hoping the accubonds shoot as well. With either IMR4350 or RL19, it would shoot 3000fps+
I am sure you will like the accubonds. also the 215 serria gameking is great especially for the money

how to figure energy in ft lbs. velocity x = over 450240 . in a caculator the velocity X = squares the velocity the devide by 450240. 450240 is 64.32 x 7000 which converts grains to LBs.
example the 416 Taylor which is the same as the 416 Ruger in vel. a 400 grain bullet @ 2410
2410 x2410 = 5808100 devided by 450240=12.90 12.90x400 wt of bullet = 5160 ft lbs of energy..
this is why the 416 is now the go to gun in Africa it has more down rang energy than the 458 winchester. with less recoil and now the 416 Ruger is or will soon be the king of the 416 because it performs = to the 416 remington and the factory loaded 416 Rigby.. All on a 2.5 inch case I like the Taylor of which I like better because, I do like a belt on a round this large. P O Ackley taught me this. In his chicken house converted to a barrel making and gun building enterprise. 1976

It's not too big...BUT...you will be in a very small minority. Nothing wrong with that though. I killed a NC whitetail with a .338 and it died where it stood. I like that because I'm colored blind and not too keen on that tracking thing. I think I have some 200 grain Speers that I bet would be the ticket as well on WT.

348 your speer bullets will be great for WT I shot speer 160s in my 280 rem for 20 years in mississippi and never had to track on -bang drop there I think around 22 deer with the 280' However, I have a 338/06 AI that did the best ever . a Buck about 125 yards stopped and I put the crosshair on his sholder 200 gr speer pull triger sack pf brick hit the ground . when I walked up he had hole through his neck - I could not believe I shot that bad -then i noticed a hole through the sholder also.. one bullet one shot - I know he reached back to lick his hock at the wrong time.