338 win mag

270 win

I'm just wondering what the recoil of a 338 win mag would be like. I don't want to put a muzzlebreak on this rifle, and I would like to keep the weight under 12 pounds. Any info would be appreciated.

I have a tikka t-3 lite in 338 win mag and with scope it weighs 7.1 pounds. It does not need a brake on it with bullets up to 225 grains. I don't shoot anything heavier in it. recoil is not bad at all. Last week I was shooting groups under 2" with it at a quarter mile. Extremely accurate round.

my 338 win mag is 11.8 lbs unloaded with every thing else.off of a bench rest it gets a little painful after 20-30 rounds but off of a bi-pod i have shot 70 in one day and absolutely no soreness it is very manageable from field positions. i don't have a break i shoot 225gn accubonds at 2890fps out of a 26' barrel
go for it

Last edited:
it would be like a 12g shotgun you can take it man

+1. Thats the closest comparison I can think of. I dont have a brake on mine either. Im shooting it tomorrow before I trade it to my buddy, but Ive shot a few 338 win mag's and theyre not that bad. Various bolt rifles, Ruger #1's, and BAR's. My 300wby hits much harder. I also have a cousin with an old Savage 30-06 that kicks like Thors Hammer! Almost makes you wanna cry. Sometimes the fit of the stock has more to do with recoil than the cartrige, but WOW. NOT ONE of the 338's Ive ever shot even came close to that ''thing'' he has. Hes tried to trade it several times and every time someone shoots it they hand it back and say NO WAY!
ICANHITHIMMAN pretty well described it to a ''T''. A 12 ga shotgun with 3'' mags.
Somewhat stout, but not too bad.

Felt recoil is very subjective and is different for each shooter's sensitivity to recoil, what is excessive for one might not be for another shooter and vice versa. There are too many variables in firearm design (i.e. gun weight, recoil pad, grip design, etc...), load development (powder and bullet weight), shooter's position/setup, and other factors to consider.

Here's a link to a recoil calculator for feel comparison only ...

Recoil Calculator

Good luck!

Ed

Last edited:
I punched in some loads into that recoil calculator, If i shot 215 grain bullets the rifle would be fine until I grow more. I'm only 14 and am 5'10 150 lb, so I don't want somthing that will make me flinch and knock me around too badly. Thanks for all the reply's guys.

I hunted elk for years with sporter-weight Win. M70 .338 which only shot really well with 250 and 275 gr. bullets. I practiced with it frequently, and was shooting other rifles a lot at the time, so I became acclimated to the stout recoil, and harvested every animal I shot with it. The .338 Win. is an outstanding all-round big game caliber.

That was back when muzzle brakes were thought to be only for sissies.

Since then, I've had other rifles with muzzle brakes, and if I had to do it all over, I'd have a muzzle brake clapped on that .338 from the get-go! :D

I punched in some loads into that recoil calculator, If i shot 215 grain bullets the rifle would be fine until I grow more. I'm only 14 and am 5'10 150 lb, so I don't want somthing that will make me flinch and knock me around too badly. Thanks for all the reply's guys.

Excellent call! Good luck.

Ed

Now I know this is a long range forum, but I want thie caliber in an alaskan guide type rifle. If anyone knows who makes a nice stainless rifle with a larger magnum contour barrel with iron sights (other than the sako kodiak) please let me know.

Now I know this is a long range forum, but I want thie caliber in an alaskan guide type rifle. If anyone knows who makes a nice stainless rifle with a larger magnum contour barrel with iron sights (other than the sako kodiak) please let me know.

I think that the Ruger M77 Hawkeye Alaskan may be as close as you get:

Ruger M77 Hawkeye Alaskan Bolt-Action Rifle

Else the Ruger Compact Magnum

http://www.ruger.com/products/m77RugerCompactMagnum/models.html

It's hard to find one as you wish with stainless + larger barrel + 270 caliber. You may need to rebarrel and have iron sights added to do it.

338 out of a 12 pound rig isn't going to be uncomfortable but, keep in mind uncomfortable could be very different between two individuals. I'm not a recoil junky nor am I recoil shy. I shoot a 300 rum out of a 9.5 pound rig w/o a brake or recoil pad and after 10 I start to feel it and by 20 I'm done for the day. Others wouldn't dream of shooting it w/o a brake while others shoot far larger magnums w/o a brake...so it's a personal thing. My experience with most shooters I've shot with is that once you get to around 300wm you start hearing comments about recoil, now that's usually out of a 8-9 pound rig so I'd think a 338 normal loads and 225gr bullets in a 12 pound rig wouldn't be uncomfortable. Recoil calculators are fine but you need to have something to compare it too. For example I can load into the calculator my 300 rum and then another cartridge and based on the comparison I'll know whether recoil will be less, similar or more ft/lbs and whether it's going to be a fast jolt or more of a push back.

If you're worried about recoil on a lighter wieght gun, try putting a Limbsaver recoil pad on the firearm. If that doesn't work you can then try a muzzle break. Just my two cents. I've installed severial for people and they all seem to like them.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.