.338 win mag or 300 win mag

Well I finally got the call that my Ruger Guide gun had arrived. I decided to go with the .338 Win Mag.
Now I am looking for a scope to put on. I was discouraged a bit when I was looking for scopes and some vendors were telling me that with a 20' barrel I wont be shooting more than a 200 to maybe 300 yds with accuracy. I bought the gun to be an all round rifle for the game I shoot from deer up (Moose Elk and Black Bear). I know its a big heavy for whitetail deer but covers anything else around here heavier...My question is this:
1. How far do you think I can shoot game accurately with this gun?
2. What scope do you recommend? (shots anywhere from 50 - 400 yds max)
3. Can anyone tell me what ammo this gun likes for accuracy? (I know most of my Brownings like Winchester, so curious about this gun).
4. Has anyone shot Whitetail with this gun? I heard Barnes 168 gr TSX or LRX are good rounds with minimal damage...??
I cant wait to get a scope on it and try it out! Any advice is greatly appreciated.

1. How far do you think I can shoot game accurately with this gun? Accuracy has too many factors between the rifle set-up and the "NUT" behind the trigger. For instance, "my" unwritten rule is to keep the energy at the point of impact at 1500 FT-LBS for elk size game and the minimum expansion (i.e., 1600 FPS) of the bullet designed being used. "My" current self-imposed limit is 1K yards on game.

2. What scope do you recommend? (shots anywhere from 50 - 400 yds max). What's your budget? This might boil down to personal preference, SFP vs FFP, fixed (some people can shoot that 4X at 400+, I am not one of them) vs variable, 1" vs 30MM or larger, magnification? Lots of good choices out there.

3. Can anyone tell me what ammo this gun likes for accuracy? (I know most of my Brownings like Winchester, so curious about this gun). There is no way of telling, you just have to try it out of your rifle and see how your rifle likes particularly when it comes to loaded ammo.

4. Has anyone shot Whitetail with this gun? I heard Barnes 168 gr TSX or LRX are good rounds with minimal damage...?? No hands-on experience with them but harvested a few WT and muleys with 250 NABs with minimal meat damage. Shot placement remains the key.

Good luck!

Last edited:
I have had four 338's.
First the length of the barrel will have little affect on accuracy. Theoretically though a short barrel should have less vibrations (more stiff) and might be more accurate. Accuracy is not that affected by barrel length. I'd stop asking the guy who told you that any questions.
My favorite load for my early 700, my push feed 70 and my 70 Classic was with 250 grain Nosler Partitions. My later model 700 with detachable magazine liked lighter bullets: including 210 grain Partitions and several Mono bullets. But it liked factory Federal Premium Bear Claw loads also.
I sold all my 338's after the last trip for Moose hunting in Canada. My traveling long distances for big game has possibly come to an end. I have components, dies, and such that I'd let go at a good price.
Hi, I am always up for more bullets and brass. PM me.?

I have had four 338's.
First the length of the barrel will have little affect on accuracy. Theoretically though a short barrel should have less vibrations (more stiff) and might be more accurate. Accuracy is not that affected by barrel length. I'd stop asking the guy who told you that any questions.
My favorite load for my early 700, my push feed 70 and my 70 Classic was with 250 grain Nosler Partitions. My later model 700 with detachable magazine liked lighter bullets: including 210 grain Partitions and several Mono bullets. But it liked factory Federal Premium Bear Claw loads also.
I sold all my 338's after the last trip for Moose hunting in Canada. My traveling long distances for big game has possibly come to an end. I have components, dies, and such that I'd let go at a good price.
I may be interested also in some of what you have

If it shoots good at 100 it will shoot good at 400. It just wont be as fast.

Its going to like whatever ammo it likes. You'll just have to test your favorite loads. Id try the new 230eldx hunter loads if i was starting from scratch and bore sighting ect. Might get lucky and find a winner right of the bat.
I used to only use 338wm and shot a lot of deer with a 250 partition. It mushrooms but dont explode. Yes its big but the extra energy goes out the othes side. The barnes would probably work great at the ranges you mentioned.

Scope. Cant beat SFWA 6x for 0-400 in my opinion. I have to many guns to put a nightforce on everthing. I resurrected my winmag this year with anew stock and tested 100 rounds through vortex 3-9 diamond back tactical and it not only survived but I was accurately lobbing accubonds to 900 yard with it.$179

Use plenty of blue locktite! 2 cents worth.
Thank you whirlwindjml. Sound advice. When you say SFWA 6X are you referring to a Nightforce scope? I do not know what that means...Thanks for your help.

As others have said, you will not lose accuracy with a shorter barrel.....your scope vender in "full of beans"! If that were the case, Contender handguns with 10" to 16" barrels would be useless. In fact, often shorter barrels exhibit an improved accuracy, perhaps due to increased barrel "stiffness". Velocity loss, and this is just a guess....30 to 35 FPS/inch barrel removed! I don't think it will be an issue with the ranges of intended use! Good Luck.....you should have a great rifle for it's intended application!

You asked about bullets, we use Barnes 225 TTSX's in the wife's rifle....for everything from antelope/deer to moose. One bullet, one load, one zero.....it simply works! memtb
Thank you and I am happy to hear that about accuracy with my rifle. :)

Well I finally got the call that my Ruger Guide gun had arrived. I decided to go with the .338 Win Mag.
Now I am looking for a scope to put on. I was discouraged a bit when I was looking for scopes and some vendors were telling me that with a 20' barrel I wont be shooting more than a 200 to maybe 300 yds with accuracy. I bought the gun to be an all round rifle for the game I shoot from deer up (Moose Elk and Black Bear). I know its a big heavy for whitetail deer but covers anything else around here heavier...My question is this:
1. How far do you think I can shoot game accurately with this gun?
2. What scope do you recommend? (shots anywhere from 50 - 400 yds max)
3. Can anyone tell me what ammo this gun likes for accuracy? (I know most of my Brownings like Winchester, so curious about this gun).
4. Has anyone shot Whitetail with this gun? I heard Barnes 168 gr TSX or LRX are good rounds with minimal damage...??
I cant wait to get a scope on it and try it out! Any advice is greatly appreciated.
I really like the Swarovski 3-10 for this type of rifle

I have had four 338's.
Thank you for the advice and sorry to hear you no longer come up to hunt moose. Unfortunately I do not reload my own ammo, at least not yet, so I am limited to what I can find and .338 is not a very common round around here. But I have gun store near by that will order for me what I want.

I have had a number of .338 Mags. The one I kept the longest and still have is a Browning A bolt 2. Just for fun one time I loaded it with 160 grain TTSX because I was loading my wife's 338 Federal with them as a deer load and I had lots on hand. The 338 Mag shot them extremely well, less than MOA, and at super velocities. It was an eye opener and if I ever wanted to use it for deer or sheep that would be my go to. My normal load is with 210 to 225 grain bullets and I have a straight 3x Leupold on it which is perfectly adequate for shooting moose at out to 400 yards, (they are big creatures), and even more adequate for hiking around grizzly country.

I have had a number of .338 Mags. The one I kept the longest and still have is a Browning A bolt 2. Just for fun one time I loaded it with 160 grain TTSX because I was loading my wife's 338 Federal with them as a deer load and I had lots on hand. The 338 Mag shot them extremely well, less than MOA, and at super velocities. It was an eye opener and if I ever wanted to use it for deer or sheep that would be my go to. My normal load is with 210 to 225 grain bullets and I have a straight 3x Leupold on it which is perfectly adequate for shooting moose at out to 400 yards, (they are big creatures), and even more adequate for hiking around grizzly country.
Good to hear since that is the round I was thinking if I used it for whitetails....Thank you.

I have new brass, used brass, dies, bullets and factory loads.
100 new RP
50 used RP - 13 loaded with 250 grain partitions and 76 grains RE 22 with WLR primers
And 8 loaded with a different 250 grain partition (I think a later version) and 70.5 grains of H4831sc and 215 primers.
59 used mixed brass FC, Win and RP
One unopened box of 250 grain Hornady SP Interlock (100 bullets)
One opened box of 250 grain Hornady SP interlock - maybe more than 50
two opened boxes of Nosler 250 grain partitions - they look full
Two boxes factory - one full - Federal Premium with 250 grain Nosler bullets. The other box has 17 loaded with 225 grain bear claw and three once fired
12 250 grain Nosler Partitions in a partial box.
44 ea Barnes TSX 225 grain bullets.
Interest in any?
I would appreciate a fair price.

I have new brass, used brass, dies, bullets and factory loads.
100 new RP
50 used RP - 13 loaded with 250 grain partitions and 76 grains RE 22 with WLR primers
And 8 loaded with a different 250 grain partition (I think a later version) and 70.5 grains of H4831sc and 215 primers.
59 used mixed brass FC, Win and RP
One unopened box of 250 grain Hornady SP Interlock (100 bullets)
One opened box of 250 grain Hornady SP interlock - maybe more than 50
two opened boxes of Nosler 250 grain partitions - they look full
Two boxes factory - one full - Federal Premium with 250 grain Nosler bullets. The other box has 17 loaded with 225 grain bear claw and three once fired
12 250 grain Nosler Partitions in a partial box.
44 ea Barnes TSX 225 grain bullets.
Interest in any?
I would appreciate a fair price.

Post to the classified ad section.

Thank you whirlwindjml. Sound advice. When you say SFWA 6X are you referring to a Nightforce scope? I do not know what that means...Thanks for your help.
Sorry i missed your reply. For the money these take a beating. My 10x version has been on a 338wm lite weight and now on my lapua. Very reliable.

I have been a fan of the 33 caliber for some time...I have owned a couple 338 federals, 2 338 win mags, a 340 WBY, 33 Nosler, and 3 different 338 Norma's....I cannot think of a more balanced over all rifle than a 33 shooting a250 grain bullet. You are over gunned in about 80% of situations and undergunned in about 5% of situations..but hell you can kill any thing anytime with one--in most situations. I'd go 338 win mag.

I see you don't reload so don't overlook the Barnes 210 TTSX. A lot of guys go right to the 225 TTSX but mine seemed to like the lighter version. The animals won't know you are missing 15 grains of bullet. A scope for where you will be should be something in the 2.5 x 8 range.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.