338 ultra??

I kinda got the cart before the horse on a 338RUM. Bought 360 rounds of new custom manufactured ammo out of an auction and nothing in the safe to feed it to. I seem to do this a lot... :-( I didn't know just how hard it was to locate something locally and was just about ready to start a build and I got a call from a guy just south of me that had one and saw my WTB ad. A scoped Remington 700LSS. So I bought it. That was a couple of years ago, and I still haven't shot it... At my age my grand kids are gonna have lots of fun...for cheap.. :)

IMO the 338RUM shines the best with the 250 gr. When looking at the 300 gr the Lapua and Norma out shine the rum.

It's like what the 260 is compared the the Creedmore. Ballistically very close but creedmore is a better designed and supported cartridge.

The Lapua is a better designed and supported a cartridge compared to RUM but ballistically not much difference.

So if starting a new build one would be wise to stick with the slightly better more supported cartridge.

It's like what the 260 is compared the the Creedmore. Ballistically very close but creedmore is a better designed and supported cartridge.
Put on your flame suit buddy! :)
Sorry, that was funny to me. Prepare for 260 fans to beat down your door.

I built a RUM right when I saw that ADG was making the brass. I didn't want to run a Lapua, due to the action and bolt face restrictions. On paper and in real real world, there is no real appreciable difference. Run a good barrel with good loads and solid dope, and you won't notice a difference. When people start skewing things like barrel length and factory cartridges, that's when you'll see. Most RUM's from the factory might top out at 26" barrel and a slower twist. Make it an apples to apples comparison and the RUM is a fine round.

Nothing wrong with either 338 Rum or the 338 Edge ! Both are neck and neck with each other at my place . No experience with the Papua !
I load 300 gr bergers and H-1000 with excellent results !
My two favorite ones are here .
338 rum left , 338 edge right . Both with 30 " carbons .
Just took my Elk with the 338 Edge Thursday morning at 1244 yrds .

Rum Man
20190203_133841.jpg

Here ya go ! My personal best for distance . To come back after Open Heart Surgery to this is Amazing in my eyes !!
Special Thanks to the Members here that sold me the parts to build my Rifle !
Thank You Rum Man !!
20191031_113227.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.