338 ultra??

Mram10us

Why don't I see more 338 ultra builds? I see Norma, lapua, edge, but never a standard 338 rum. I haven't owned one, but the gs that taught me built some and raved about the accuracy being like the edge and 300 rum.

Military use, common use by those actually stretching the limits of shooting big game, marketing, and some mythology thrown in.

All 3 are excellent rounds, I use the standard .338 RUM, being around the others hasn't caused me to wish a change.

In my opinion when you decide you want to be sending 300 gr bullets to very long distances, you should watch the various choices perform at say a mile before choosing.
Just sit back behind them watching thru large tripod mounted binoculars as they are being shot.
You wont need to be told which one you should choose, and it wont take but a few shots from each for you to reach your conclusion.

Why don't I see more 338 ultra builds?

I think the answer is already given, there has been much attention paid to the other cartridges and their performance as opposed to the Remington standard of lackluster promotion. Had Remington paid more attention to several of their cartridges and done some reasonable promotion, the shooting world would be richer for it. And simply loading 300 grain bullets and attempting to shoot at a mile will not necessarily prove anything. Most of these rifles are hunting rifles and do not have the horsepower to achieve the requisite performance from these bullets especially when we harvest game at far shorter distances. Yes I understand the reasoning but I don't see the necessity.

"Sometimes called the "poor mans Lapua", this label certainly fits the .338 RUM. However the same can be said of the .338 Edge which often yields identical velocities with absolutely identical powder charges. The .338 Edge is in turn based on the full length .300 RUM with its more readily available brass. Having said this, there is very little difference between any of these cartridges in power and real world downrange performance. Individual barrel lengths, harmonics and sweet spots certainly muddy the waters. With regards to the Edge, the combination of an extra-long barrel and a long magazine box can help custom built Edge rifles gain performance over more basic factory .338 RUM rifle set ups."
https://www.ballisticstudies.com/Knowledgebase/.338+Remington+Ultra+Magnum.html

There are positive and negative positions to take when any cartridges are compared. Here it's the case lengths and rim diameters which come into play. The case lengths often require a longer than standard box and follower when loaded with the substantially longer VLD bullets. The actions often have to undergo some machining to accommodate these boxes. The actions which support the rim diameter of the Lapua and Norma cartridges often cost more and can be less readily available.

I've shot all these cartridges, some for a longer time than others. I prefer the Norma Mag for the uses I deem necessary, bench, prone or hunting. I do not suffer from cartridge envy ever!;):D

Just threw a 338 RUM build together last fall! Residency has kept me busy so I haven't put too many rounds down the barrel, but I've enjoyed it so far.

- Stiller Predator
- 30" Bartlein Sendero with 5 port self timing muscle brake
- TriggerTech special
- Hawkins BDL bottom metal
- Grayboe Renegade

8F529E12-F175-4F5E-913A-32A0FF10521F.jpeg

F8965FAB-3396-483A-B88A-4EA3AB2FDC37.jpeg

91392599-69F9-4AE5-B921-8BC50D01D77D.jpeg

Planning to put one together this winter. Just haven't decided on carbon proof or carbon 6 barrel or a Brux #5

Plenty of 338 RUM brass options these days.

- Gunwerks/ADG
- Nosler
- Bertram

Definitely not as many options for brass as 300 RUM (to neck up for 338 Edge), but it's out there. I found quite a bit of 338 RUM brass and a few boxes of old stock ammo for cheap before starting my build. I was on the fence about the RUM vs Edge, but finding a good stash of components for the RUM helped make my decision.

Why don't I see more 338 ultra builds? I see Norma, lapua, edge, but never a standard 338 rum. I haven't owned one, but the gs that taught me built some and raved about the accuracy being like the edge and 300 rum.
Have the Christensen Arms Summit Ti in 338 RUM. No complaints on my end. Have several other customs but this is one of my favorites to shoot and hunt with. Loves Accubonds and Berger's ... but want to start some load development with some Barnes.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.