338 rum & rl-26 ?

Thanks Timber, I hate to waste the money on components to get my undersized cases back to chamber dimension. My gun shot great with new Remington brass, because it was the proper size. I now have 300 cases of Bertram that is the same size as the Remington and I think I will just neck size it before shooting and see how it goes. I did try loading some unsized Bertram and found that the neck tension wasn't tight enough and my 300 gr OTM was pulling out with the sizing stem.

Dave, most likely you will have to fire form it to get to your exact chamber dimension anyway. Once fire formed and properly sized your velocity will be around 30 fps faster than new non fire formed brass.

Randy,

I have some loaded and ready, just need the want to get up early. To the rest of the people in this thread, I spoke too soon when I said I had 300 cases of Bertram. Graf and Sons called me yesterday to inform me that the brass I ordered and received was labeled wrong and was not 338 RUM, but 338 win mag. Call tag sent and back to backorder status. Oh well, I have 100 Bertram cases to play with.

I want to open this one back up again. I picked up some RL26 today and I want to play with some 210 gr Scirrocos to see how fast I can get them with accuracy to play with antelope. I have also been experimenting with Hornady 285 gr ELDM, with an .829 bc, I am running them at 2940, but I am having a little trouble finding my exact point of just touching the lands, it seems like I can be +-.015, so it makes me wonder if I am jamming or just touching. The eldm isn't quite as accurate as the 300 gr Otm just yet, but still playing around. I want to try hunting with the Eldm to compare. My bergers are around .050 off the lands the best I can measure and loaded to 3.800 oal with 99 gr of rl 33 and velocity is now 2830. The barrel is officially broken in.
Can anyone give me a good upper end starting charge to try with Rl26 and the 210 scirroco?

Not exactly the 210 Scirroco but I started loading RL-26 and the 236 grain Hammer Hunters. The hammers have relief grooves cut in their bearing surface so that might make it similar to the 210, as far as that goes. Nosler lists RL-26 starting with 265 grain bullets (LRAB) and 83.5 grains. I started my loads at 85 and hit pressure at 96. Mine are loaded to Rem factory mag length, so that takes up a little case capacity and was just about to get compressed. In my rifle I would start the 210's at 90 grains.

It looks like not enough time to try the RL26 with the 210 Scirracos, so I played some more with the 285 Hornady eldm. 100 gr of rl 33, 3.740 oal, fed 215 primers and now it looks like I gained velocity. I didn't put the magneto speed on, but I had to take 3/4 minute of elevation out at 690 yards. This puts velocity at around 2990, with an .829 BC and 5600 foot pounds at the muzzle. I think I have a winner. I also annealed all of my once fired bertram brass and lubed the inside of the case necks. Time to go kill a big buck next saturday!

I just got my 338 rum #2 back from the smith. I fit the action to the stock, but didn't bed it for now. Took it out and sighted it in with some factory Federal 225 accubonds, they are horrible for accuracy and way faster than advertised. They are advertised at 3020 and run 3200 in my gun. Anyway, it is on paper, this is a previously used Broughton 5C that I had pulled off two years ago. The barrel wasn't bad, ended up being bent screws in the rail. I had it set back about a neck thickness. I loaded up some 210 scirracos with 96,97 and 98 grs of rl26 and need to try them. I have to load the swifts right at 3.6 oal and that puts me about .008 off the lands. All of my other bullets can be seated out a lot further. We will see if this hurts velocity or not. Stay tuned.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.