rl 26 300 rum

den

anybody else loading rl 26 in the 300 rum I had a load that I developed at 350 yards that seemed to be great went to about 92 gr with a 180 bt and started getting the click at the top of bolt lift so I called that max and had already noticed accuracy around 89-90 so i settled on 89.5 and was not getting any signs whatsoever I felt that it was a mild load ,as it should be comparing it to rl 25 data so now hunting season is this weekend and I went out to check everything and I am getting the click and even some smearing on the casehead with the 89.5 load outside temps are about the same as when I developed early in the summer any ideas would be appreciated , thanks

You are at least a full grain over max by load listing from Alliant if by "180 bt" you meant 180 Nosler Ballistic Tip..... if not the right bullet, then need to know what bullet if you meant "boat tail"

Use the 180 Nosler Partition data for load max.....
180-gr Nosler Partition Reloder 26 Fed. 215 88.5gr 3185fps

But if gun is tight chambered and well barreled you could be more than 1 grain over. You did not list velocity, Alliant data says max velocity at approx 3185.

See 2015 load data, click Download the Reloaders Guide. Alliant Powder - Reloader's Guide

Last edited:
Hey thanks a bunch MarkA, yes 180 nosler ballistic tip & accubond I have never seen this updated chart, I had been deriving my data from rl 25 data from the old Alliant chart that had no data for the 300 rum with rl 26 then started well under 10 % of it and worked up I was getting 3276 fps at 89.5 gr rl 26 and had been seeming easy on brass until now, I had shot quite a few rounds at that weight earlier this year with good accuracy the 89 and 89.5 went almost same hole at 350 yards I will drop a grain or two and chrony again I have notes that say 88.5 was accurate in my gun this is kind of sketchy with all the talk of rl26 being slower than rl 25 and the old chart with rl 25 shows 94 grain as max for a 180 sp bullet I have burned alot of rl 25 in the former 7 rum and some in it now rebareled to 300 rum , I was convinced that rl26 was faster but not by this margin kind of getting down on case fill more than I like but I am out of time to change powder type now also there must be something different about early summer and early fall air or something else IDk because I shot quite a bit at that charge early mid summer about same temps and never seen anything on casehead and the only inkling of bolt lift was at 92 grains I really dont mind losing the velocity just looking to get the accuracy back btw even now when I google Alliant all I get is the old data so Thanks a ton for the link

I found the data on their site it was not that easy for me at least, there is reloaders guide at the top of the page & again below, then to the right latest data, then new rl 26 when clicked says veiw all recipes no 300 rum there, then I went to site map and found get and print the guide where it does exist:) could have saved me a bunch a money & time if I had this when I got the powder months ago I would have been looking for a node in the mid 80 gr range instead of high 80 low 90 range oh well I think am on the right track now ,thanks again

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.