338 RUM Magazine length ?

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by clambdin, Aug 12, 2012.

1. clambdin

clambdin Well-Known Member

Thinking about building a 338 RUM long range rifle on my savage 116 RUM action....I am wondering if I will be able to get the longer bullets like the 300smk and the 250gr berger OTM....to shoot .5 MOA or smaller at magazine length ? Do you all think magazine length would be a problem here...probably use a number 5 contour in a manners stock...?

2. woods

woods Well-Known Member

I'd say it would depend upon your magazine length. Is it a 3.60"?

I rebarreled a 338 win mag Beretta Mato(which has a mag length of 3.685") to a 338 RUM and had the smith set the throat so that I could seat a 225 gr Accubond OAL at 3.600" and have a .020" jump to the lands. My main load now is a 225 gr TTSX which has a OAL of 3.580" and is .050" off.

A word of caution, if you set the lands at a shorter distance in order to reload closer to the lands, you will have a combustion chamber smaller than factory guns. This will mean that you will not be able to load at book max. If I use a charge of 98 grains RL25 (book max for 225 gr bullets) then I lose the primer pockets, so I am now loading at 94 grains. IOW, start lower and work up.

3. D.ID

D.ID Well-Known Member

I turned my 116 338win into a 338 edge single shot using the fred sled floor plate. It is so smooth without the magazine pushing up on it or fighting to meet mag length. I know everyone wants a repeater but in these cartridges one is enough. I am going to build another and throat it even longer as a single shot. I love the savage action and the 338 rum (or 338-300rum in my case) but if you cram it short enough to work in a standard magazine you "almost" defeat the purpose. My opinion and your milage may vary.

4. clambdin

clambdin Well-Known Member

Thanks for the opinions guys keep them coming...the magazine is in fact 3.660 ! My smith recommened using a min spec reamer on this build what are your thoughts ?

5. highridge1

highridge1 Well-Known Member

I don't have a savage but in my rem 700 I had a wyatt mag box installed and now run 300 grain bergers at 3.810. 3.6 can be tough to work with the heavier bullets.