Magazine lengths

Jbumblebee

I was wondering and since I don't know anyone with a custom rifle I thought I'd ask here.

Can you get a custom rifle with an oversized ( length ) to accommodate cartridges that will seat just off the lands?

The magazine in my 7mm Rem Mag won't allow for that. I know you can load one round at a time, but that's somewhat impractical when hunting.

Thanks

I was wondering and since I don't know anyone with a custom rifle I thought I'd ask here.

Can you get a custom rifle with an oversized ( length ) to accommodate cartridges that will seat just off the lands?

The magazine in my 7mm Rem Mag won't allow for that. I know you can load one round at a time, but that's somewhat impractical when hunting.

Thanks
What action and how far off the lands where your current load is now?
You can, but you have to see if the action will accept a Wyatt Extended Mag, if not, then you would have to open up the action.
Yep, and it might (?) be cost-effective.

Thanks
Lot's of custom actions that should accommodate a 7MM Mag. I'd dare say almost any long action Remington 700 clone would give you 3.8"+ length using Wyatt's magazine with no modifications needed. There's a couple that'll get dang close to 4" but there's no need for 4" with a 7mm Mag.

I'm also curious what rifle you're currently using. The Wyatt's extended magazines are somewhat limited in the rifles they work in. After reading your question, I'm making an assumption you're dealing with something with a super short magazine (3.3-3.4" COAL). Something like a Tikka, Nosler, Ruger M77.

My question is purely based on curiosity. my 7mm Rem Mag is an ADL from 2002. I just recently replaced the stock with a Bell and Carlson, free-floated the barrel, and added a Timney trigger, along with a Kwik Klip magazine.

The box magazine is a bit shorter than the follower I removed.

Right now my COAL for the Hammer bullets I'm using are 3.6" to 3.7"

I appreciate the input.

Do you see a problem with your current COAL considering the SAAMI is 3.29"? What bullet weight?

No, I don't see any problems with my current loads. I'm playing with some Hammer bullets ( 160 and 143gr ) for the 7mm Rem Mag and I haven't bothered to measure where the lands are since those bullets are so long. I've measured other Hammer bullets in both of my .30-06 rifles and the bullets are way too long at the lands to be seated in those.

Currently, the loads I'm working up in the 7mm are 3.756 for the 160gr and 3.683 for the 143 grain. Both fit the magazine.

You can have your current action opened up to allow a longer wyatts and not pay for a "custom". I have my first custom action I'm doing load development on now. It has a huge jump and shows lots of promise. All my others have been factory mag lengths I have also used other bullets and found good bullets that shoot very well.

No, I don't see any problems with my current loads. I'm playing with some Hammer bullets ( 160 and 143gr ) for the 7mm Rem Mag and I haven't bothered to measure where the lands are since those bullets are so long. I've measured other Hammer bullets in both of my .30-06 rifles and the bullets are way too long at the lands to be seated in those.

Currently, the loads I'm working up in the 7mm are 3.756 for the 160gr and 3.683 for the 143 grain. Both fit the magazine.
That's the beauty in reloading, finding the right bullet, and compromising between COAL and CBTO to fit your magazine unless you want to spend money to have it modified.

That's the beauty in reloading, finding the right bullet, and compromising between COAL and CBTO to fit your magazine unless you want to spend money to have it modified.
I agree, it's the experimenting and trying to achieve perfection that keeps me doing this.

Recent Posts