.338 Rum and Barnes Triple shock

angus-5024

Hey guy's. I have about 40 Barnes-X triple shocks 250 grainers kickin around that I want to use up in a short range (450 yards -) load. I dont want to do to much load development as I wont be using these bullets again and I would rather spend my time hunting or fishing. I already have an accurate load with 300 SMK's but they dont fit in the mag. If anyone has any load advice with Retumbo or RL 25 let me know. I was thinking 91 grains Retumbo would be on the mid pressure end and probably a safe bet.
thanks.

JM

with the barnes I have went all the way up to 98gr of rl 25 and they are still very accurate with no pressure sings but any thing from 91gr up to 98gr will work

CAUTION!

The Nosler manual lists 91 gr RL25 as the MAX load for a 250 gr bullet and 87 gr as the minimum load.

My 338 RUM gets loose primer pockets with anything over 96 gr RL25 with a 225 gr TTSX.

I would think that 89 gr of RL25 with the 250's and work up would be more appropriate.

I would only do the 91 grains with Retumbo, I would start a little lower with RL 25 as it usually gives a little more pressure. I have loaded up to 92 grain Retumbo with a 300 SMK, so I think it should be OK with a 250grn. thanks for the imput guys.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts