Barnes triple-shock .224 53gr.

telkev

Does anyone have any experience loading these bullets? I have a 223 with a 12 twist and a 22-250 on the way with a 14 twist barrel. Do these bullets stabilize good for extended range? Do they group as well as some of you other loads? Do you have any pet loads you want to share for either the 223 or 22-250?

Telkev, the 53grn will probably group better in the 1-12 twist barrel. However, It will probably work well out of the 1-14 twist because you will be able to push it faster with the 22-250. For loads try Viht-N133 in the 223 and I would start out with 23grns and work up to around 26grns. Viht-N133 is an excellent powder for the 223. For the 22-250, I would try Varget. Start out with 34grns and work up to 37.5grns. "WORK UP TO THE HIGHER LOADS"

Hope this helps. Let us know how it works. Are you using the Triple Shock for varminting?

W.

telkev I haven't tried the triple shocks but I have tried the 53 gr XLC's in my Win Coyote 22-250 and they didn't shoot worth a crap. When the first group printed 8.5" at 100 yards I didn't go any farther. I don't think a 1 in 14 twist will stabilize them at any safe speed in a 22-250.

David

Wildcat, thanks for the info, I was actually wanting to use them for hogs. I was wanting the solid copper bullets for extra penetration for head shots. Otherwise just for varmits out to around 400 yards.

53 gr TSX Load Info.

Aloha Telkev,

I was in the same boat as you a few months ago and couldnt find too much load info. for this cartridge/bullet combo.

The rifle im shooting is a Tikka

The best load I was able to find was 35gr of Varget. It shoots a bit under 1/2" @ 100 yds I havent had the chance to really play with seating depth etc. so hopefully I can get some time to wring out this load a little more and see what happens. I want to shoot hogs with it as well. Hopefully it'll happen in the very near future :)

The specifics are as follows:

Cal: 22-250 Rem.
Bullet: 53 gr. TSX
Powder: 35 gr. Varget
Brass: PMC-Once Fired ***Note..Only Brass I had access too but have since picked up
some winchester brass to try.
Primer: Rem. 9 1/2

I did find something unexpected though, when I used my stoney point gage to get a rough est. on OAL with the bullet touching the lands so I could set my seater. The bullet was literally all the way out of the case neck before touching the lands so my loads are way off the recommended .050" but theyre doing good enough for what I intend to use them for.

Hope this helped a little.

***This load shown here is safe only in the gun for which it was developed. I do not assume any liability for accidents or injury resulting from the use or misuse of this data.***

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.