338 lapua

okay off what some of you guys have said i changed my plan some i would like the gun to be 14 or15 pounds with a scope and ammo. i was thinking a nightforce nsx scope. what would be a good barrel countor to go with. and i think i would like a 32 inch barrel. unless the 32 inch barrel would not gain mucg over 28 or 30 in barrels.

I have a #7 lilja on mine(.950@muzzle) it is a heavy profile but it is only 27",you will lose about 18-20fps for every inch less of barrel,i have a nightforce and mk4 leupy both excellent mk4 is lighter though,also you will most probably need a pelican case to fit a 30"+ barrel,dont forget to add that to your overall cost.cheers.

300R, I am also building a 338 lapua and am using the exact same barrel as you used. Mine will be a 28" fluted without the break. Could you post a picture of your rifle on this post, it may help the author with his question, not to mention I and I'm sure others would like to see what your rifle looks like.

Here she is guy's...
006.jpg
010.jpg

Tac 338 action
27"lilja 1-10twist#7
A5 mcmillan
vias brake
jewell trigger
NF5.5-22x50

Thanks very much,i have not yet had a chance to shoot it,i'll spend some time with it over the holidays.I forgot to mention i went with a PT&G floorplate and a weatherby mag box and follower allows about a 3.900 oal,feeds well and it requires no work drops straight in.

FWIW I guess Remmy now offers a 700 in this cartridge. I was told it was now part of their tactical line.

If it were me I'd opt for the aftermarket receiver. These receivers are becoming more and more popular it seems and the workmanship is far better than a take off from a rack gun.

One that I like is "Defiance Machine" owned and operated by Glen Harrison and his wife Lisa.

Glen is the original founder of Nesika Bay Precision. He's also my friend and a former employer so it's not hard to understand my affection. Prices are very competitive and Glen's stuff just seems to have an elegance/class that I personally am really fond of.

He's a one man band so the QC dept begins and ends with him. That's a plus in my book. Delivery times are probably better than anyone else in the industry. Less than a month in most cases.

Good luck.

I have a Action right now being barreled in 338lm That Glen built i have used just about every custom action builder out there. It also really helped His shop is only 15minutes from the house and i could go talk to him face to face. We was able to sit down and give me about 45 minutes of his time to talk about that i was looking for.

Action007.jpg

All i can say is The Finest action builder i have ever bought from. There will be many more.

Tom

I, too, have an action on order with Glenn. This will be the first of many. He took the time with me, over the phone, to discuss the build I have planned for this receiver, a LR .260 Rem., for the monthly Sporting Rifle matches at Ratone. Expect nice things when that action arrives.

OP:

I have a Lilja 10 twist 338 barrel on the shelf that'll finish out at 28-30 inches.

It's a Medium Heavy Varmint taper and SS.

$325 for the stick.

I also a have reamers set up for either 250/300 grain bullets.

I'd opt for the 250's with a 10 twist. A 9.5 works better for the "lawn dart" 300's.

Good luck.

C

Nice action,he sounds like a great guy to deal with,i wish we had some action builders downunder.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.